well-temperedforum.groupee.net
What are you reading?

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/6483909597

23 October 2021, 01:24 AM
Jack Frost
What are you reading?
I can’t say enough to promote this book. As music lovers, I am confident all of you will not only love this book but you will cherish it. A friend in a FB reading group who was halfway through said, “ I am hanging onto this book like a life raft.” Don’t miss this masterpiece.

Jf

--------------------------------
Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

23 October 2021, 01:27 AM
Jack Frost
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
I think I posted this in the old thread resurrected..

I just finished "The Overstory"...brilliant.

you will all love this book. Promise.

Jf

Also by Richard Powers:
“ The Time Of Our Singing”. One of the best things I’ve read in a long time.

J

I loved The Overstory, too, so I’ve just added “The Time of Our Singing to my holds at the library. Thanks, JF!

23 October 2021, 10:35 AM
AdagioM
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
I can’t say enough to promote this book. As music lovers, I am confident all of you will not only love this book but you will cherish it. A friend in a FB reading group who was halfway through said, “ I am hanging onto this book like a life raft.” Don’t miss this masterpiece.

Jf

That is a great endorsement!

http://pdxknitterati.com

25 October 2021, 11:42 PM
BeeLady
Heard about this via the BBC and Woman with Altitude

My Journey to Lhasa is an adventure travel story of a woman in her 50's treking to Tibet in secret in the 1920's...Her writing is compelling, interesting and humorous... I am loving it! Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

10 November 2021, 10:11 PM
wtg
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Not currently reading (it will be released next week) but have it on hold at the library.

The Sisters of Auschwitz

NYT review:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/0...d&variant=0_identity

Just finished this. Highly recommend.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

11 November 2021, 03:45 PM
Jack Frost
Mitch Albom

Wonderful author

J

12 November 2021, 05:04 PM
wtg
Woke Racism by John McWhorter.

quote:
Mitch Albom

Wonderful author

I've read several of his books, but Tuesdays with Morrie is my favorite. I reread it every few years.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

16 November 2021, 04:36 PM
Catseye3
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wtg:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wtg:
Not currently reading (it will be released next week) but have it on hold at the library.

WTG, you might like the book Playing For Time. You can find it in the Amazon Books section.

"Success is measured by your discipline and inner peace." -- Mike Ditka

18 November 2021, 10:42 PM
Dan
Dol, I just finished A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers. What a great read! I feel kinda bad now after recommending the Gone World to you. It is so dark in so many ways, and the Chambers book is just straight up fun while also setting the hook hard for all the characters. I've got Wayfarers Book 2 on my hold list now.

In the mean time, I have two of Kirstin Hannah's to get through (The Four Winds, and Winter Garden).

Happy reading everyone!
19 November 2021, 01:50 PM
Jack Frost
Anything by Mary Kubica.

Psychological thrillers.

Jf

23 November 2021, 06:55 PM
wtg
World War C by Sanjay Gupta. He takes a deep dive into how the pandemic unfolded… things missed, mistakes made. Definitely worth reading.

Bazootiehead-in-training

23 November 2021, 08:41 PM
dolmansaxlil
quote:
Originally posted by Dan:
Dol, I just finished A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers. What a great read! I feel kinda bad now after recommending the Gone World to you. It is so dark in so many ways, and the Chambers book is just straight up fun while also setting the hook hard for all the characters. I've got Wayfarers Book 2 on my hold list now.

In the mean time, I have two of Kirstin Hannah's to get through (The Four Winds, and Winter Garden).

Happy reading everyone!

I’m so glad you enjoyed it! I have The Gone World on hold at my library but there is still one person ahead of me. I’m usually ok with dark - I’ll let you know what I think!

I’m reading Chris Hadfield’s The Apollo Murders right now. I’m enjoying it, but I’m not sure I’m the right audience. It’s a Cold War espionage story with lots of technical details about flying. Despite that, I am enjoying it enough to keep reading.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

24 November 2021, 10:35 AM
Dan
Another good sci-fi I've read recently is Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. He also wrote The Martian, which is (like nearly all books) better than the movie even though I really like the movie. I would recommend both. Smiler
24 November 2021, 03:11 PM
Nina
I just finished Niall Williams' "This is Happiness." I enjoyed it a lot, and would recommend it. But I also recognize it's not everyone's cup of tea. It's not plot-driven, not really. It's a (fictional) memoir of an older man looking back at his childhood spent in remote western Ireland (Faha area). He is such a beautiful writer, and is able to seamlessly move from nostalgia to humor to wistfulness within a single paragraph. The general book is held together by the appearance of a man who is there to help bring electricity to the area, and the notion of powering the region provides a lot of the structure in the book. But at it's core it's really a lovely memoir of a lost time and place.
24 November 2021, 03:33 PM
wtg
The Deep Places by Russ Douthat. He chronicles his horrific case of Lyme disease.

Bazootiehead-in-training