well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What are you reading?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you reading?
 Login/Join

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
quote:
My latest is "The Fabric of Civilization: How Textiles Made the World"

Much of it I already know after years of textile crafting..But it is nice to see it all in print in one place.

Clearly I am diving back into history here to see this post, but I’m going to check this out! Thanks!

Dol, I think you will like it! I knew much of it, but there is other history I had no knowledge of. This is one book I will keep on my shelf. And another of my favs was referenced in it is The Perfect Red: Espionage, and the Quest for the Color of Desire

I’ve been having a hard time focusing on reading, but have been loving audiobooks while I sew so I picked it up that way! I have heard of The Perfect Red but haven’t read it. I will look at that one, too! Thanks!

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4081 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I guess I should also answer the question! I’m reading (audio) Hail Mary by Andy Weir (author of The Martian). While it isn’t as good as The Martian it is way better than his second book, Artemis, IMO.

Posts: 4081 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Started reading this one tonight.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post

I got it to learn about the Spanish Flu epidemic but there is a lot more to the book than that.

The first several chapters are mostly about the development of medical knowledge worldwide. The next few are about the struggle for power between physicians, lab scientists, religions, university boards and politicians prior to 1918; a struggle that continues today. Next is WW1 and how various government/military programs set the stage for what was about to come. Woodrow Wilson figures prominently in these chapters and I'll have to read up on him. Interesting guy.

By chapter 16 the virus really gets going. Eeker

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I read Barry's book when it came out; scared the hell out of me.

Probably worth reading again.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I think the near elimination of personal freedoms during the run up to the war and after it got started might be scarier than the virus.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I think I posted this in the old thread resurrected..

I just finished "The Overstory"...brilliant.

Not sure I mentioned it in the other thread. I have learned so much from this book. Heard the local author on the radio and picked it up. Facts from it have now helped me in my genealogy and in exploring the history of my city, Lowell Mass.

Voyage of Mercy: The USS Jamestown, the Irish Famine, and the Remarkable Story of America's First Humanitarian Mission

About to start, "My Journey to Lhasa" by Alexandrea David-Neel. 1927

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
The Galaxy, and the Ground Within by Becky Chambers. It’s the fourth in the Wayfarers series and it’s some of the most spectacular sci fi I have ever read. Her character development (and her description of non-humanoid sentient characters) is phenomenal. I highly recommend the series.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I just finished “Factfulness”.

Not the best writing but I learned some things and I feel better about the world. ThumbsUp

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:

Also by Richard Powers:
“ The Time Of Our Singing”. One of the best things I’ve read in a long time.

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Galaxy, and the Ground Within by Becky Chambers. It’s the fourth in the Wayfarers series and it’s some of the most spectacular sci fi I have ever read. Her character development (and her description of non-humanoid sentient characters) is phenomenal. I highly recommend the series.
Thanks Dol, I've got it on my library hold list now and will check that out. I love a good sci-fi read.

Just finished off "The Gone World" by Tom Sweterlitsch. It's sci-fi like I've never seen before. Worth checking out if you're a fan of time-travel fic. Pretty dark at times, so be prepared.

Finished off the latest Maisie Dobbs release by Jacqueline Winspear. Absolutely a brilliant series combining murder mystery with history from a Brit perspective starting with WWI. Highly recommended!!

Nick Hornby's "Just Like You" is also a great read. Nick is one of my go-to authors and I keep up with his new releases pretty closely.

Working on several right now as I always do.

Where the Crawdads Sing - this one really captured my attention at the beginning, but has kind of turned into a reading slog in the middle. Not sure why it lost my attention. I'll definitely finish at some point, but it has dropped down to third on my current reading list.

Started The Nightingale again. I really enjoy practically everything I've read by Kristin Hannah. Check her out if you haven't already.

I'm also working through the books written by Duane Boehm. These are light weight westerns set in Colorado. Kind of a blend of Zane Grey and Louis L'amour style wise. There's nothing particularly redeeming or enlightening about them, but they're a good read when you want diversion, not thought.

Thanks BL for resurrecting this thread. Smiler

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan:
quote:
Thanks Dol, I've got it on my library hold list now and will check that out. I love a good sci-fi read.

Just finished off "The Gone World" by Tom Sweterlitsch. It's sci-fi like I've never seen before. Worth checking out if you're a fan of time-travel fic. Pretty dark at times, so be prepared.

Smiler

Thanks for this recommendation! Just placed a hold for the audiobook at my library! You may also enjoy Dark Matter by Blake Crouch and The Fold by Peter Clines.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Just finished Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey. One of the most interesting memoirs I've read. He is definitely a man who marches to a different drummer and even the structure of the memoir is different, with what look like scraps of paper, type-written notes, hand-written reflections, on other ephemera interspersed with the text.

I really appreciated how hard he has worked at self-realization and how much he has achieved along the way. I didn't know much about him, other than seeing a few movies he played in, but left with a greater appreciation for him as a person.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7379 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
quote:

Also by Richard Powers:

J

I loved The Overstory, too, so I’ve just added “The Time of Our Singing to my holds at the library. Thanks, JF!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

Also by Richard Powers:

J[/QUOTE]

I loved The Overstory, too, so I’ve just added “The Time of Our Singing to my holds at the library. Thanks, JF![/QUOTE]

You will love it.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post