well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Want to go to Tucson - Drive or Fly?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want to go to Tucson - Drive or Fly?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
An email from American Airlines told me the airlines were getting so many cancellation calls that lines were jammed. It asked for people to wait a while before calling.
I expected few people on the plane.
Then the governor of Colorado asked the ski resorts to close. They did.
The shuttle was full of people who had to leave because the resorts were closed.
I did not get on the shuttle.
Renting a car to drive to Tucson to avoid taking my own and ending up with two vehicles in Tucson.
Will leave tomorrow.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
When you gotta go, you gotta go.

Stay safe and healthy. Ditto for Bob.

Let us know how life on the road is too. Are you going to go for one long days drive, or stop somewhere?

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Some beauty from Tucson for you ...

Catalina Mountains

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Will stop at the usual cheap La Quinta in Albuquerque
I stay there because I usually have the dogs with me.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thank you all.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
A friend who lives in Washington (state) is thinking about coming to Chicago and is hesitant to fly. It's a long drive, and she'd be alone, so that's not incredibly appealing either.

But if she wants to get here, it's one or the other. Unless she does Amtrak or something....are the trains running these days?

Anyway...I know it's been a while and things may have changed....how did your driving trip during the age of COVID end up working out?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
A friend who lives in Washington (state) is thinking about coming to Chicago and is hesitant to fly. It's a long drive, and she'd be alone, so that's not incredibly appealing either.

But if she wants to get here, it's one or the other. Unless she does Amtrak or something....are the trains running these days?

Anyway...I know it's been a while and things may have changed....how did your driving trip during the age of COVID end up working out?

I carried a spray bottle of the Windex sold for kitchen countertops and paper towels. I used it before and after touching gas pump handles etc.
Sprayed my hands and wore a mask before going into restrooms. Used a paper towel of mine on door handles going in, used one of theirs going out.

Stayed at La Quinta in Albuquerque. The room smelled of disinfectant. Ate the cheese and crackers and an apple I had for dinner.
Was more bold in the breakfast room. Made a waffle and ate boiled eggs and probably some of the Windex that was on my hands. Should have used paper towels when touching things.
There is a lot open country on the route. Will be driving back sometime in July. Will use fewer restrooms.
I carried a lot of water, and munchies.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
How are y'all doing with the Bighorn Fire raging in the mountains. We got a dousing of the smoke here in Santa Fe.

We're driving from Santa Fe back to Virginia starting tomorrow. We'll be packing food for at least the first day. The second night will probably be in Nashville, and we may venture to some BBQ joint, perhaps for outdoor eating or takeout. We came to New Mexico in two days of driving, but will be returning in three.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
We got smoke in this part of the city for four days.
The east part of the city and suburbs have gotten more, not sure how bad it was. the wind has helped us, but made it worse there.
The fire grew to 88,000 acres this morning.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
So P*D and Chas, how comfortable do you feel with how the hotels are prepping the rooms?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
So P*D and Chas, how comfortable do you feel with how the hotels are prepping the rooms?

The smell of disinfectant when I entered helped me relax a bit. I was too tired to worry too much.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
You are both bigger risk-takers than I am. No hotels for me right now. (Not to mention, public restrooms.)

Stay safe.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Will try.

I simply cannot judge the safety of a hotel room. I just behave with caution and always try to use good hand hygiene. And I trust that Marriott is deeply concerned about its reputation.

The alternative is that we stay put for years. I simply can't do this. Our Santa Fe home needs maintenance and attention. And we love to come out here. I don't worry too much about being here. The locals are more concerned with appropriate behavior than anywhere else I have been, including home in Virginia (where infection rates are declining at present).

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
We stayed in a residence inn for a week while we had floors refinished.

I thought the risks were acceptable. No maid service. One family at a time in elevator. No one allowed to hang around in lobby or pool. Masks required when you left your room.

The place was a ghost town.

And our floors look great.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Hotels are indeed empty. The Marriott Courtyard we pulled into on our way out west was deserted. There may have been one other guest in the entire four floor inn.