well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Boeing 737 Max 8

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boeing 737 Max 8
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
With two crashes in five months, most of the world has grounded their Boeing 737 Max 8. But not the USA. What do we know that they do not?

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do we know that they do not?

Or, what do they know that we don't?

Or, what problems/concerns are they paying attention to that we are ignoring?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Nothing yet. They haven't analyzed the flight or voice recorders from Ethiopia yet.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
With two crashes in five months, most of the world has grounded their Boeing 737 Max 8. But not the USA. What do we know that they do not?

America: $$ before safety.

Consumer Reports:

quote:
While the investigators continue their work, the government and airlines should put safety first. American and Southwest should have already temporarily halted flights of the Boeing 737 MAX 8 until they can fully determine that their aircraft, training, and operations are safe, and explain this to the public. And since they haven’t, the FAA should."

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10563 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Look at this from the perspective of a normal government regulator. (i.e., NOT the Trump Administration.)

If you allow the planes to keep flying, there's no upside, only downside. If a plane crashes, your job is on the line.

On the other hand, if you ground the planes, no one is going to criticize you for that. You can just scream "safety!", and that will insulate you from criticism.

That self-interest adequately explains why other countries are grounding the planes. It may or may not be the right move, but it's surely the safer move ... for the regulators themselves.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

... for the regulators themselves.

Indeed.

I haven't seen the evidence. We had a discussion of the last crash, and the blame didn't seem to stick to Boeing in particular, since the Indonesian airline seems not to have chosen to educate their pilots about taking manual control.

We have no idea whether the same issue was at work here.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Look at this from the perspective of a normal government regulator. (i.e., NOT the Trump Administration.)

If you allow the planes to keep flying, there's no upside, only downside. If a plane crashes, your job is on the line.

On the other hand, if you ground the planes, no one is going to criticize you for that. You can just scream "safety!", and that will insulate you from criticism.

That self-interest adequately explains why other countries are grounding the planes. It may or may not be the right move, but it's surely the safer move ... for the regulators themselves.

This is a really good answer.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
GROUNDED

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
By Trump personally.

Only a few hours after the FAA issued another statement saying it’s safe.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
By Trump personally.

From the AP story:

quote:
The president insisted that the announcement was coordinated with aviation officials in Canada, U.S. carriers and aircraft manufacturer Boeing.

Guess they missed the FAA....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
By Trump personally.

What was the timing? I thought the FAA issued the order.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Trump announced the grounding sometime shortly after lunch.
The two most recent FAA statements on the 737 bracket Trump's annoucement. The most recent one, that references the grounding, was at 3 pm. The one before that was last night and said there was no reason to ground.

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=93206

edit:

quote:
CBS News' chief White House correspondent Major Garrett reports the president and the White House began Wednesday comfortable with the aircraft line. But according to officials directly involved in the process, FAA investigators developed new information from the crash site and other sources that revealed potential similarities between Sunday's Ethiopian Airlines crash and the October Lion Air crash. With that new information, FAA leadership convened a meeting around 1 p.m. Wednesday, and Chao phoned Mr. Trump around 1:30 p.m. with the recommendation to ground the fleet.

He just likes to steal the thunder and be in the middle of things.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post