well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Boeing 737 Max 8

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/6461031366

12 March 2019, 02:06 PM
Axtremus
Boeing 737 Max 8
With two crashes in five months, most of the world has grounded their Boeing 737 Max 8. But not the USA. What do we know that they do not?

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

12 March 2019, 02:24 PM
ShiroKuro
quote:
What do we know that they do not?

Or, what do they know that we don't?

Or, what problems/concerns are they paying attention to that we are ignoring?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

12 March 2019, 02:30 PM
jon-nyc
Nothing yet. They haven't analyzed the flight or voice recorders from Ethiopia yet.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

12 March 2019, 02:41 PM
Bernard
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
With two crashes in five months, most of the world has grounded their Boeing 737 Max 8. But not the USA. What do we know that they do not?

America: $$ before safety.

Consumer Reports:

quote:
While the investigators continue their work, the government and airlines should put safety first. American and Southwest should have already temporarily halted flights of the Boeing 737 MAX 8 until they can fully determine that their aircraft, training, and operations are safe, and explain this to the public. And since they haven’t, the FAA should."

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

12 March 2019, 06:06 PM
QuirtEvans
Look at this from the perspective of a normal government regulator. (i.e., NOT the Trump Administration.)

If you allow the planes to keep flying, there's no upside, only downside. If a plane crashes, your job is on the line.

On the other hand, if you ground the planes, no one is going to criticize you for that. You can just scream "safety!", and that will insulate you from criticism.

That self-interest adequately explains why other countries are grounding the planes. It may or may not be the right move, but it's surely the safer move ... for the regulators themselves.
12 March 2019, 09:40 PM
Piano*Dad
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

... for the regulators themselves.

Indeed.

I haven't seen the evidence. We had a discussion of the last crash, and the blame didn't seem to stick to Boeing in particular, since the Indonesian airline seems not to have chosen to educate their pilots about taking manual control.

We have no idea whether the same issue was at work here.
13 March 2019, 02:39 AM
Steve Miller
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Look at this from the perspective of a normal government regulator. (i.e., NOT the Trump Administration.)

If you allow the planes to keep flying, there's no upside, only downside. If a plane crashes, your job is on the line.

On the other hand, if you ground the planes, no one is going to criticize you for that. You can just scream "safety!", and that will insulate you from criticism.

That self-interest adequately explains why other countries are grounding the planes. It may or may not be the right move, but it's surely the safer move ... for the regulators themselves.

This is a really good answer.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

13 March 2019, 02:38 PM
LL
GROUNDED

The earth laughs in flowers

13 March 2019, 02:53 PM
jon-nyc
By Trump personally.

Only a few hours after the FAA issued another statement saying it’s safe.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

13 March 2019, 02:58 PM
Axtremus
Associated Press: https://www.apnews.com/2b26b0e...4e35838958a13fac9d94

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

13 March 2019, 03:06 PM
wtg
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
By Trump personally.

From the AP story:

quote:
The president insisted that the announcement was coordinated with aviation officials in Canada, U.S. carriers and aircraft manufacturer Boeing.

Guess they missed the FAA....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

13 March 2019, 04:44 PM
Cindysphinx
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
By Trump personally.

What was the timing? I thought the FAA issued the order.
13 March 2019, 04:53 PM
wtg
Trump announced the grounding sometime shortly after lunch.
The two most recent FAA statements on the 737 bracket Trump's annoucement. The most recent one, that references the grounding, was at 3 pm. The one before that was last night and said there was no reason to ground.

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=93206

edit:

quote:
CBS News' chief White House correspondent Major Garrett reports the president and the White House began Wednesday comfortable with the aircraft line. But according to officials directly involved in the process, FAA investigators developed new information from the crash site and other sources that revealed potential similarities between Sunday's Ethiopian Airlines crash and the October Lion Air crash. With that new information, FAA leadership convened a meeting around 1 p.m. Wednesday, and Chao phoned Mr. Trump around 1:30 p.m. with the recommendation to ground the fleet.

He just likes to steal the thunder and be in the middle of things.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training