Notify
Tools

IBACH
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
A piano brought to the US by Holocaust survivors is rebuilt and remains a treasure for the family.

From LA Times

Ibach

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Smiler ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
Ibach are very nice pianos. Sounding a bit like Bluthner rather than Bechstein.
When I was looking to buy (living in London) they were pretty difficult to find; I think I went to see a secondhand in Reids, and maybe found a couple of new at Jaques Samuel near Paddington. Not sure if they are imported at all now.

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 371 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Grotriman has a wonderful Ibach at his family's weekend house. When I was piano shopping there was an incredible old Ibach at Beethoven Pianos that I enjoyed.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Piqué, I remember that Ibach at Beethoven’s too. It was special! It’s amazing how, after all these years, certain instruments are so memorable.

Wondered how you liked the film?

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Piqué, I remember that Ibach at Beethoven’s too. It was special! It’s amazing how, after all these years, certain instruments are so memorable.

indeed. another unforgettable piano i played was a steingraeber at the factory in bayreuth. they are like people who cross your path that you can never forget.

quote:
Wondered how you liked the film?

it was okay. a couple of niggles: I always find it weird when non-pianists ohh and ahh over a piano when they haven't even heard it, saying it is "so beautiful". I mean, how do they know until they hear it? Wink

the other is the fiction that the piano can last for generations and become an heirloom. well, that is certainly true as a piece of furniture, but not as a musical instrument. There is no way that the sound of an Ibach built in Berlin in the early 20th century was recreated by a rebuilding shop in Philadelphia in the 21st century. It just isn't--can't--have the same qualities. The soundboard and the hammers are going to be very different. In truth it is a different instrument than grandma's piano.

I wasn't greatly impressed by those qualities based on listening on my tablet, but i'm sure the piano will give the family tremendous joy and the rest of it won't matter to them at all.

Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
All true. No rebuilder can ever give you the original sound back…unless maybe you’re working for a museum. But I guess what I enjoyed was the close-up slo-mo footage of the guy just doing his restoration work. Kind of like Jodi’s posting of the video of the guy remaking a handbag.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
oh, yeah. i could watch techs and rebuilders work for hours. and have. Smiler