well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Rice-a-Roni
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rice-a-Roni
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
On the other hand, don't get between me and a box of Stove-Top Stuffing.

+1

--------------------------------
http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The story of Rice-a-Roni, including the original recipe that inspired it.

https://www.npr.org/2008/07/31...menian-italian-treat

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37926 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
The article accompanying that film clip says that rice was rarely found on the American table in the 1950s.

Is that true? Actually, it can't be exactly true. They probably mean that it was rarely found on tables in most of America, or perhaps in the parts of America that the article writer considers worthy of note.

I came along in the 1960s, but I don't think that eating rice was a new thing where I lived. We had it two or three times a week, almost always with gravy.

Later, Mama discovered Cajun food and we had it in gumbo and with red beans, too. Rice casseroles were a big thing for other people but Daddy wasn't into casseroles so we never had them.

Rice pilau and red rice are a traditional dishes in the Carolinas and Georgia. Poultry stuffings were often made with rice there, too. Rice plantations made people rich there and in Louisiana and probably in some other former slave states. I'm guessing that rice is a big part of the cuisine in all the states that border the Gulf of Mexico or the Gulf Stream.

My sister and I were fascinated with Rice-A-Roni, because the jingle was so catchy and the trolleys on the commercial were so cool, but Daddy wouldn't eat anything that exotic so we never had it. Smiler

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Smiler

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We very rarely ate rice. Dad didn’t like it. On the rare occasions that Mom prepared it He never ate it as a savory dish but instead would mix some jelly or preserves in it and have it for dessert.

Mom would make chop suey and rice a couple of times a year, usually when Dad was away on a business trip. That and Italian food, which Dad also wasn’t too fond of.

My childhood was a culinary desert.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37926 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
You're all set for nuclear winter, Steve. That stuff will keep forever.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
You're all set for nuclear winter, Steve. That stuff will keep forever.

Big Grin

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post