well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    RIP George Winston :(

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP George Winston :(
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
Another one of my piano heros, George Winston, has passed away. News is posted on his site:

https://www.georgewinston.com/about/

I am not sure at this point what of his music I heard first, but this (Longing/Love) is one of the first ones I heard, and fell in love with. For many years, he didn't allow his sheet music to be sold (or produced) because so much of what he played was improvised and he didn't want it written down. At one point however, he gave away the score of this piece at a concert maybe? And then it was included as an insert in a CD that I bought in Japan (he concertized a fair amount in Japan. My tuner actually worked with his tuner once, but I never got to see him perform).

Anyway, I had this score, it was on a square piece of paper folded up to fit into a CD, and I can remember going to a grocery store in Japan that had a copy machine (10 yen per page) and trying to figure out how to get it copied onto full size paper that I could use... After all that, it was too hard for me to play for many years. :grin:

Anyway, at some point (relatively recently) he started producing scorebooks and of course I have them all now.

Thank you for the music, George Winston! You will live on in our hearts, ears, and fingers!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I have the Winter Solstice album (I think that’s what it’s called) I really love it.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Maybe that’s not his album, but he’s on it? It’s a Wyndham Hill one.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
I have the Winter Solstice album (I think that’s what it’s called) I really love it.

That is a good album.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
RIP George Winston.

Thank you for helping my friend Andy Boggs realize his dream of "being on vinyl", so many years ago. I will always remember meeting you, the 4th row center seats and back-stage passes you gave us during Andy's battle.

You also fought a courageous 10 year battle with cancer. Now you can rest.

Listening now...

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post