well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    *NEW!* January Decorator of the Month
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

*NEW!* January Decorator of the Month
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Aeroplane lavatories are (almost) always installed with the toilets oriented sideways, not facing the front or the back of the aeroplane. This is so if someone leaves a seat or lid up, it doesn't slam shut when the aeroplane takes off or lands or stops abruptly on the ground. Loud noises in aeroplanes are bad.

(Most now have those gizmos that make them close slowly, so it's less of an issue.)

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Aeroplane lavatories are (almost) always installed with the toilets oriented sideways, not facing the front or the back of the aeroplane. This is so if someone leaves a seat or lid up, it doesn't slam shut when the aeroplane takes off or lands or stops abruptly on the ground. Loud noises in aeroplanes are bad.

(Most now have those gizmos that make them close slowly, so it's less of an issue.)

I hadn’t ever thought of why they’re sideways, but this makes a lot of sense.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Some church "organists" are just pianists who get by without using the pedals or really the full resources of the organ. And those congregations are so musically uneducated that they don't notice or care.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Some church "organists" are just pianists who get by without using the pedals or really the full resources of the organ. And those congregations are so musically uneducated that they don't notice or care.

Cough cough. That was me, in high school. I had a great gig with awesome pay for a high schooler in the 80s - 1 1 hour service and 1 1 hour choir practice for $45 a week. But I was most definitely a pianist, not an organist - I made an attempt to use the pedals, but was pretty uncoordinated. However, considering our "choir" consisted of 5 sweet little old ladies, all over the age of 80, and mostly tone deaf, I don't think the lack of organ pedal usage was the most musically challenging part of the service.

I once worked as a programmer at a consulting firm in the heyday of the early 90s when the web was exploding. This firm would take people who didn't know anything about programming, train them for 6 weeks, then farm them out to companies as IT consultants for $$$$$. Some of them turned out pretty good, but most of them were barely competent and certainly not worth the huge amounts of money the companies were paying for them. We also had in house projects, one of which I worked on. (EDIT) Taking Jon's advice and nuking the rest of this post!

Posts: 4403 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Wow that's probably criminal.

You might want to delete that in a few days.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Derivatives are zero sum. If you (institution) buy one from a major bank it is a direct wager between the two of you on movements of some price. The bank's models are better than yours, and you begin the deal underwater with a negative expected value.

This is true of any insurance-like product, but many of the institutional buyers of derivatives (like municipalities and water districts in Alabama) have no idea what they're doing.

This is true also for 'credit linked notes' or 'structured products' aimed at mass-affluent retail investors.

The retail 'financial guy' that helps you with your investments can't beat the market over time. 'Your guy' is not an exception, even though he shows you graphs and charts that say he is. I can Fisk those charts and find the trickery in minutes. Having said that, the finance guy might still add value by keeping you from doing stupid stuff like selling low.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Most Steinway pianos we see really aren't anything special.... Leaving

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 24717 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your submissions.

I am torn between rontuner and realplayer, especially since their tidbits are piano-related.

Have either of you gotten to be DOM before?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've had the honor a couple of times!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Moi? I don't think I've ever had the pleasure. For most of these contests, I can't think of anything to submit. The organist thing just popped into my head.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
RealPlayer it is.

Contact Matt G about posting the picture of your choice.

Everyone else gets a ribbon for participating.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Image submitted to Matt G. yesterday. Should appear shortly.

Well, you'll get at least half a month. Smiler

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
That's only half of your duties!

You need to start an NEW contest, Realplayer!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
That's only half of your duties!

You need to start an NEW contest, Realplayer!
Oh, don't worry; I'm thinking about that already!

Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Bump. Knock-knock. Matt? Anybody there?