well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Man stabbed attendant, tried to open plane door

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/6393921897

07 March 2023, 04:43 PM
markj
Man stabbed attendant, tried to open plane door

07 March 2023, 05:08 PM
RealPlayer
People are going nuts.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

07 March 2023, 05:17 PM
Daniel
Ahh!
07 March 2023, 06:50 PM
Nina
What is with all this carp on airplanes? Was it happening earlier and we just didn't hear about it because people weren't plugged into the insanity of the 24-hour news cycle and social media?

If it's new, why? I don't understand.
07 March 2023, 08:11 PM
ShiroKuro
quote:
What is with all this carp on airplanes?

Same question here. There was also news about two United places that collided recently (maybe in Boston?) as one was backing away from the gate. You'd think it was a supermarket parking lot!

Also, a former gov't official died from turbulence injuries, although that was on a smaller jet, not a commercial airline....

And then the thing where two planes were cleared to take off from the same runway and narrowly avoided disaster.

And all this just as I'm starting to think I'm not scared to fly like I used to be. suave

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

08 March 2023, 12:18 PM
pianojuggler
I know a few things about doors on aeroplanes, at least the newer ones made by the New-Fangled Flying Machine Co. of Seattle Chicago Arlington Virginny.

On the doors I used to teach, there are a couple things that prevent the door from being opened in flight. One is a lock mechanism that activates when the aeroplane is going faster than 80 knots (that's 92 MPH or 148 km/h). The other is an interlock that prevents the door handle from moving when the aeroplane is pressurized to more than about 1 psid (that is 1 psi difference between the inside of the aeroplane and the outside of the aeroplane) -- in flight the aeroplane is typically pressurized to between 5 and 8 psid so the occupants can breathe. If you try to open the door with the aeroplane pressurized, it can blow the door off the hinges, so we prevent that.

So, the clown on this flight only managed to disarm the escape slide, which has no effect unless the door is opened. He did not and could not actually open the door.

If someone did actually manage to open a door in flight, he or she would be the first one out, if you get my drift.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

08 March 2023, 01:21 PM
AdagioM
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I know a few things about doors on aeroplanes, at least the newer ones made by the New-Fangled Flying Machine Co. of Seattle Chicago Arlington Virginny.

On the doors I used to teach, there are a couple things that prevent the door from being opened in flight. One is a lock mechanism that activates when the aeroplane is going faster than 80 knots (that's 92 MPH or 148 km/h). The other is an interlock that prevents the door handle from moving when the aeroplane is pressurized to more than about 1 psid (that is 1 psi difference between the inside of the aeroplane and the outside of the aeroplane) -- in flight the aeroplane is typically pressurized to between 5 and 8 psid so the occupants can breathe. If you try to open the door with the aeroplane pressurized, it can blow the door off the hinges, so we prevent that.

So, the clown on this flight only managed to disarm the escape slide, which has no effect unless the door is opened. He did not and could not actually open the door.

If someone did actually manage to open a door in flight, he or she would be the first one out, if you get my drift.

Glad to know that there are backup safety measures in place.

http://pdxknitterati.com

08 March 2023, 04:47 PM
piqué
psychotic break?

fear is the thief of dreams

08 March 2023, 04:51 PM
wtg
I'm guessing so. He tried to attack guards at a detention facility where he's being held.

https://whdh.com/news/leominst...-detention-facility/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

08 March 2023, 07:26 PM
piqué
definitely sounds like psychosis. screaming about how when homeland security shoots him the bullets won't hurt him. yikes.

fear is the thief of dreams

08 March 2023, 08:24 PM
ShiroKuro
PJ, you've explained that to me before actually, it's really comforting!!

So, how can we explain away all the on-runway contact incidents and death-by-turbulance??

If there's not a comforting explanation, then I don't want to know. WhoMe

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

08 March 2023, 09:28 PM
pianojuggler
This is pure speculation on my part, but I see many industries that have had their workforces decimated by the pandemic. I could imagine that the on-ground incident during pushback the other day might have involved people working long hours or something like that. In general, air travel is returning to pre-pandemic volumes, but I would guess that in some places, the staffing is still a bit short.

The turbulence thing is also not a surprise. It was a small business jet. Larger airplanes with more mass and inertia are less susceptible to getting bounced around in turbulence. Still, a sudden drop in elevation can happen in any plane. There's usually less than two feet between your head and the overhead bins. It doesn't take much of a drop in altitude for someone to hit their head. The solution is simple: wear your seatbelt at all times unless you are standing or walking in the aisle.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

08 March 2023, 09:54 PM
Amanda
quote:
...There's usually less than two feet between your head and the overhead bins. It doesn't take much of a drop in altitude for someone to hit their head. The solution is simple: wear your seatbelt at all times unless you are standing or walking in the aisle.

Thank you for your service.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

08 March 2023, 10:00 PM
pianojuggler
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
quote:
...There's usually less than two feet between your head and the overhead bins. It doesn't take much of a drop in altitude for someone to hit their head. The solution is simple: wear your seatbelt at all times unless you are standing or walking in the aisle.

Thank you for your service.
It's nothing you don't already hear every time you get on an aeroplane.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

09 March 2023, 01:05 AM
Amanda
The admonition, yes, but the graphic facts about distances between heads and storage bins - the effect of even a small drop in altitude, no. (Especially the risk difference between riding in small and jumbo aircraft.).

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"