well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Oat milk

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oat milk
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Guess it's been around for a while, but I just happened to notice it last week in the grocery store and wondered what it was all about.

This morning, this popped up in Pocket.

https://www.seriouseats.com/20...source=pocket-newtab

anybody tried it?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I don’t use it at home, but I like it in the espresso drinks from the coffeehouse. Seems closest in flavor to cow’s milk. Almond milk in those drinks tasted particularly bad to me.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I bought some and tried it on cereal this morning. I got the Swedish brand Oatly; that seemed to get the best reviews. I thought it was really good.

You wouldn't mistake the flavor for cow's milk, but the mouth feel is similar. Definitely worth a try if you're vegan or lactose intolerant. I will definitely be buying it again!

And the cereal was a first tasting, too.

Also gets two thumbs up. The flakes stayed crispy from start to finish.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I tried some oat milk in my latte. Bought it at Whole Foods, and it is called UberMilk.

Trouble is, the bottle is too large to stand up in my refrigerator, so I have to lay it down. then it takes up most of a shelf.

And it is a little thick. No problem once I add the espresso, and it tastes like milk.

I might try another brand.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Oat milk? No.

I've limited myself to whole milk, organic, if possible, and half and half.

Speaking of coffee, I grind the best beans I can find, and make it in a French press. I drink it with half and half, heated in the microwave if I have time, with organic or white sugar.

I left a percolator from the '50's plugged in too long. I felt kind of bad about it.

So I reverted back a few decades and decided using a French press was the only way for me make coffee.

/thread drift

Posts: 24711 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Almond milk is gross. So is soy. I’d be interested in trying oat milk to see if it’s more palatable.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Mary Anna uses it sometimes.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
The stuff I bought has sugar added. Frowner I still like almond milk better.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
How the various milks compare.

https://www.bbc.com/future/art...source=pocket-newtab

Bazootiehead-in-training