well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A Darwinian approach to federalism
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Darwinian approach to federalism
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
The exception proves the rule.

Catchy saying. Maybe people will start using it.

Or, possibly, it's evidence of open-mindedness about his behavior, and your unwillingness to consider that possibility is evidence of your close-mindedness. That's another possibility. But that isn't a pithy saying, so maybe that won't catch on.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
As the virus spreads across the U.S. and new hot spots emerge in states such as Illinois, Louisiana, Michigan and Texas, senior administration aides have privately argued the coronavirus response is a test of local politicians’ leadership and resourcefulness — with the White House acting as a backstop for the front-line state-by-state efforts.

It's almost like they're running out of excuses.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do any of you know what the president can do and not do? I don't for sure.

From what I've seen lately, I'd say the President can do whatever he wants.

Who is there to stop him? The Roberts court? hysteric

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
See, now, that is like I said. It is based on your preconception of the guy rather than any facts.

Don't get me wrong - the longer this goes the less impressed I am with his performance. I've said I want more facts out of him, specifics of what exactly is being done. He did a good job on the Battelle thing as nearly as I can see, but by this point he ought to be able to rattle off real numbers, real companies, real initiatives.

You can call them preconceptions. I call it a model based on four years of observation and analysis of Trump's behavior.

Maybe I can give you a view of where I'm at and how I got here..

I knew nothing about him when he announced his candidacy. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Never read his books or books about him, never watched any interviews, and never watched The Apprentice. He was the guy with the comb over I'd see on the cover of the Enquirer when I was checking out at the grocery store.

I watched him as he exhibited a consistent set of behaviors during his candidacy and into his presidency. I was initially shocked at his seemingunpredictability but ultimately found that he actually follows a pretty close script of behaviors.

He insults and belittles people. He says things and then says he didn't, or that he didn't mean them. He puts out information that is not accurate, whether it's something as inconsequential as the size of the inaugural audience to a timeline for a coronavirus vaccine.

He rarely displays empathy and compassion towards others. He seems to think anyone who criticizes him is an enemy to be taken down. His approach to interpersonal relationships with world leaders is confrontational and combative; he seems to kowtow to enemies and slap friends silly.

If there's one word I'd choose, it's chaos. You cannot run a country well with this approach.

I assess a presidential candidate based on many factors. Policies are certainly up there, but I think even more I examine temperament and intelligence.

I believe anyone who runs has to come to the job with a healthy ego but that it needs to be balanced with humility.

They need to be intelligent and have a broad-based view that can adapt to changing situations.

They need the ability to assemble, and to listen to, a team of experts in various areas to inform and to challenge them, the person at the top. Better mousetraps are built collaboratively.

A sense of empathy and compassion for all people, whether they be your fellow countrymen or not.

A promise to be truthful and straightforward.

A committment to put the needs of the country above all else, especially self.

Thougtfully developed plans, executed well.

Chris Christie has known him for years and has somehow managed to escape the fate of most of those close to Trump and is still on speaking terms with him. If I've heard Christie say it once, he's said it a dozen times: Trump is being who he has always been. I believe he is right.

Every so often Trump rises to the occasion (I've commented on those when they've occurred), but it seems it's never for very long before he slips back into his lifelong habits and behaviors.

It may well be that some people admire his approach and/or his policies and think he was sent to mix things up and drain the swamp. I'm not one of them.

As far as my criteria are concerned, we couldn't have a worse person in the job than we do right now. And that has nothing to do with policy, just with his temperament. I don't think that temperament is going to change.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
We haven't had a pandemic of the magnitude that this one could turn out to be since 1918 and of course that one lasted until 1921 and hit in waves.

But it's not 1918. Imagine any of the countries in Europe or Asia handling the coronavirus pandemic without a centralized national response.

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Trumps tweet today:

quote:
For the purpose of creating conflict and confusion, some in the Fake News Media are saying that it is the Governors decision to open up the states, not that of the President of the United States & the Federal Government. Let it be fully understood that this is incorrect....

Can I get three cheers for Federalism? Anybody here more comfortable with Trump deciding this than Cuomo et al?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Because Trump says something doesn't make it so ...

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Of course, PD. I wasn’t quoting Trump as authority. I was quoting him as buffoon.

My real point is thanks-be-to-god we don’t have to rely on a federal response to this.

There was a theory at one point that it didn’t matter who was president, the system itself would provide the right guardrails. I think Covid-19 pretty much debunked that.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
It’s funny to look at this in light of his comment about states being in charge of PPE.

Trump wants absolute authority and absolutely no responsibility.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
and absolutely no responsibility.

... and he has said so, emphatically.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Jonah Goldberg tweeted ‘If Barack Obama had said he had ‘total authority’ conservative talk radio would have set itself on fire.’

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
I wish he hadn't used the word "intelligence" in the same sentence as "the president"... GoneMad

Maybe he hoped it would give his writing a miniscule chance of being put before T in his carefully culled morning news briefings.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
See, now, that is like I said. It is based on your preconception of the guy rather than any facts.

I will remind you that it wasn't too long ago that I pointed out that he'd had two Presidential performances in a row.

As expected, he couldn't keep it up, but when he does good, I remark on it.

My impression is that "performances" is indeed the operative word - that his alleged success came from finally listening to advisors who warned him that he was losing ground fast with his prior way of speaking about this crisis.

Thus I wouldn't give him credit for anything but following advice - a horrifyingly rare occurrence.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Cuomo came up with the concept; glad to see the administration embracing it, even though it may turn out that ventilators aren't as critical as we thought they were if it turns out there are other, better alternatives.

This is the kind of federalism I was envisioning, as opposed to the initial position of the administration that it "isn't a delivery service" and that states were on their own for acquiring supplies.

edit: Of course, I also assume that any federal oversight of distribution is based on need, and not level of gratitude of the recipients.

https://www.reuters.com/articl...-virus-idUSKCN21W2EZ

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post