well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A Darwinian approach to federalism
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Darwinian approach to federalism
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The Trump White House is doubling down on a strategy to govern the coronavirus pandemic: pushing authority and responsibility for the response onto the states.

As the virus spreads across the U.S. and new hot spots emerge in states such as Illinois, Louisiana, Michigan and Texas, senior administration aides have privately argued the coronavirus response is a test of local politicians’ leadership and resourcefulness — with the White House acting as a backstop for the front-line state-by-state efforts.

The strategy is built on the idea that state leaders have the greatest familiarity with residents, hospitals and public health departments, as President Donald Trump and his allies argue. But it has a political subtext: The approach could give the White House an opportunity to extract Trump from future criticism as the virus spreads throughout the nation and threatens to kill hundreds of thousands of Americans. It also could backfire among Americans who prefer to see a firm national response to a disease that does not respect state borders.

“That is a Darwinian approach to federalism; that is states’ rights taken to a deadly extreme,” said Martin O’Malley, the former Maryland governor who served for eight years on the Homeland Security Task Force of the National Governors Association. “The better read of federalism is that the states and federal government work together when the U.S. is attacked, whether it is by imperial Japan or a pandemic.”

“For all of the good work I see governors doing, only the president has the intelligence and resources to tip the shores, the power to invoke the Defense Production Act and control over whether there are adequate stockpiles for the threats of our day and the FEMA reserves,” O’Malley added.

https://www.politico.com/news/...p-coronavirus-156875

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I wish he hadn't used the word "intelligence" in the same sentence as "the president"... GoneMad

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Do any of you know what the president can do and not do? I don't for sure.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
This has always been in the governor's hands and it should be, for the most part.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
This has always been in the governor's hands and it should be, for the most part.

I think you're wrong.

The ability to establish rules and quarantines and so forth is within the hands of the governors and local officials.

The acquisition of necessary materials? That's what FEMA is for. If you're going to say that's in the governor's hands and should be, then FEMA serves no purpose, and we should leave each state to handle its own disasters. (And I am not advocating for that.).

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:

Specifics, no. But I think it is reasonable to assume that someone like O'Malley does, given his prior roles. And given that many governors are making the same kinds of requests, do you think they are being unreasonable?

Seems like the model being followed by the Army Corps of Engineers that I posted in the other thread is the ideal working relationship. The Corps is responsible for managing the overarching logistics and contracts to get the work done that state and local officials have determined to be in their state's best interest.

There has to be a better way than the scattershot approach being taken now, with states and the federal government bidding against each other for supplies.

And the Feds have been nowhere when it comes to raising the alarm initially. As the gov of LA said, no one ever said anything about shutting down Mardi Gras. We know that people in the administration had early warnings but couldn't get anyone to take them seriously.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I think you ignored 'for the most part'.

I am really really really glad it was up to Cuomo to decide when to close things here and not Trump. I thought he dithered by a few days but when he did finally close things Trump was still tweeting about how the flu was worse and was mostly worried about spooking markets.

FEMA has built several hospitals here and more are on the way. Federal coordination of purchasing and even equipment sharing would be nice, but I don't trust Trump not to intervene based on which governors he likes (or more realistically, which ones slurp him publicly).

If Eisenhower were president, I'd be fine with a much more federalized solution.

Of course Federalism will have some losers. Florida jumps to mind. What is it they like to say? Elections have consequences.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:

Specifics, no. But I think it is reasonable to assume that someone like O'Malley does, given his prior roles. And given that many governors are making the same kinds of requests, do you think they are being unreasonable?

Seems like the model being followed by the Army Corps of Engineers that I posted in the other thread is the ideal working relationship. The Corps is responsible for managing the overarching logistics and contracts to get the work done that state and local officials have determined to be in their state's best interest.

There has to be a better way than the scattershot approach being taken now, with states and the federal government bidding against each other for supplies.

And the Feds have been nowhere when it comes to raising the alarm initially. As the gov of LA said, no one ever said anything about shutting down Mardi Gras. We know that people in the administration had early warnings but couldn't get anyone to take them seriously.
So in short, you don't know. Without knowing what he has or has not the power to do it is difficult to level this particular criticism. The criticisms I have seen here are all based on longstanding perception of Trump.

This is not to say that he doesn't have the power - I don't know. But until we know we're all shooting in the dark.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Those are reasonable points about how equitable the distribution might be, Jon. I keep forgetting he's the guy telling Pence in public not to call certain governors just because he deems them insufficiently appreciative.

Some states are more equal than others.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Mik, I'm not going to get into a pedantic argument about his powers. I said I didn't know specifics about powers, but there is something called leadership that has been entirely absent. Except for Pence, who seems to be quietly trying to get the things that need doing done.

Trump has been operating in the same chaotic management style he always has. Some people think that style has been shaking things up all along. I don't agree, and I think it's a style particularly unsuited to this crisis.

And instead of rallying people and being a unifying force, he continues to throw stones at the very people he should be helping.

Leadership. He is doing it wrong.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
This is a leader in action.

http://well-temperedforum.grou...963941497#3963941497

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
See, now, that is like I said. It is based on your preconception of the guy rather than any facts.

Don't get me wrong - the longer this goes the less impressed I am with his performance. I've said I want more facts out of him, specifics of what exactly is being done. He did a good job on the Battelle thing as nearly as I can see, but by this point he ought to be able to rattle off real numbers, real companies, real initiatives.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I think you ignored 'for the most part'.

That's the space of creative ambiguity in which Trump lives. Always leave a little bit of an out, say categorical things without being completely definitive.

The issue of supply I pointed out is pretty large, and overwhelms "for the most part".

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
See, now, that is like I said. It is based on your preconception of the guy rather than any facts.

I will remind you that it wasn't too long ago that I pointed out that he'd had two Presidential performances in a row.

As expected, he couldn't keep it up, but when he does good, I remark on it.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
The exception proves the rule.