well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    There is something really satisfying about watching and listening to these videos.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There is something really satisfying about watching and listening to these videos.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
This person remakes bags/purses from old and worn out (upscale) bags, and other things. (Turn the sound on)

https://youtu.be/0epQ7xbvnho

https://youtu.be/FLoXW5q2YvE

I love the colors of this one (the music, not so much)

https://youtu.be/SE6pXkLUs3A

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20413 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I watched the first one; it was fascinating. The skills required to dream up and to execute that bag were remarkable.

I also wondered how big the craftperson's workspace is. There must be a zillion tools and tons of supplies!

Looking forward to watching the others. Very cool!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37779 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
This one is good too. Has a really sweet story. I love the sounds.

https://youtu.be/O5j7l4AZIYI

Smiler Jodi

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
This one is good too. Has a really sweet story. I love the sounds.

https://youtu.be/O5j7l4AZIYI

I like the bags and (very touching) story, but most of all I like the beautiful portrait of the artist the video begins with (or perhaps I'm just assuming it's a picture of him?).

It may really be the best way to remember a lost loved one - to have some treasured memento to use and even (ideally) to uses regularly.

I'm remembering some period during which the bereaved wore jewelry containing hair or other memorabilia. Also, some tradition whereby the survivor wore an item containing blood of their lost one. (Also between members of a couple while they're still living....Or am I thinking of the Kardashians?)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Makes you appreciate craftsmanship. I have one bike bag made in Connecticut of leather and canvas that has that quality. They make bags for various high-end names so you never see the real maker’s name.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13778 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I enjoy seeing skilled craftspeople at work in whatever material they work with. Those videos were very good.

I do have a little qualm with the use of readily identifiable designer materials because of the possibility of deception or fraud. It seems unlikely in the sort of one-on-one transactions that the bags that appear in these videos, but it still worries me, particularly when things like the Gucci mark are reincorporated in the new object. I'm not sure how this could be easily avoided when the major materials are themselves indicative of the original source. Perhaps a secure tag identifying the remade nature of the objects secured on an inside surface would accomplish this.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7376 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
My guess is that he is remaking these for their original owner. It seems that the bags are not in good shape anymore.

Smiler Jodi

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Yes, Jodi, you can see that the reconditioned bag is significantly smaller than the original, and had to be redesigned. I’m sure he used only the material that wasn’t too worn or damaged.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13778 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
N.B. Edited overlong post earlier. Had forgotten to (+ computer problems)... Red Face

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post