well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    All the thyme in the world

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All the thyme in the world
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted
The summer vegetables are still producing in my garden. There are lots of green tomatoes out there, plus a cucumber or two, a few field peas, and a little bit of okra.

If the predictions are correct, that will all change next week and I'll yank it all out in favor of the kohlrabi, cauliflower, onions, and shallots that are already growing like winter is coming.

The other thing that really perks up here when the heat backs off is the herbs. I've got a second crop of dill coming up from the seeds dropped by the spring crop. The thyme and chives are even more lush, because they don't die back in the winter here.

The thyme is especially impressive. In fact, it's starting to take up more than its share of space, because I don't use it very much. I'll tuck a sprig in the cavity of a roast chicken or drop some leaves in vegetable soup or spaghetti sauce. If I remember when I'm cooking pot roast, I'll throw it in. Because I have so much of it, I use it anywhere that I might use oregano or tarragon, but I don't use them all that much more.

Y'all, it's growing a lot faster than I'm cooking it.

Rather than ripping it out, I might move some into a pot. When it blooms, it attracts pollinators, which is always a good thing. But I'd rather cook with it, since that's why I planted it.

How do you people cook with thyme?

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15505 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I use a lot of thyme in stock and stews, and I’ll add it when searing a steak or chop.

Mine looked great in the garden for several years and is now dying back for some reason. I’ll probably move it to a new spot and see how it does.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34827 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I use a lot of thyme in stock and stews, and I’ll add it when searing a steak or chop.

Mine looked great in the garden for several years and is now dying back for some reason. I’ll probably move it to a new spot and see how it does.

Feed them

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my wooly thyme lawn was a qualified success for a while, but people said that it has shallow roots and depletes the soil after a few years. Feed, mulch, or move.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I have five or six varieties of thyme around the yard. All but two I just treat as ground cover that smells great when you walk on it... or the dog smells great when he rolls in it.

I have two that I cook with. One I grew from a cutting from a plant outside the front door of the restaurant run by the woman who catered Bill and Melinda's wedding. The other is "orange balsam" and it's heavenly.

I stuff a lot into whatever meaty bits I'm grilling. This here pork loin also has fresh chives and oregano:

Also in spaghetti sauces or similar.

Thyme seems to be one of those plants that is happiest when you whack it back periodically. If you just stick the trimmings in the ground, they'll sprout. It's a great low border plant. Or give some to neighbors. Or make a sachet for your sock drawer. If you have all you need for cooking, don't despair at tossing the excess. It'll make more.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post