well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Katie Hobbs, Dem, wins as AZ Governor!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Katie Hobbs, Dem, wins as AZ Governor!
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
Even though many on both sides considered her opponent to be the stronger candidate, thanks to all her PR acumen.

But she bit the poison MAGA apple and it knocked her out of the race in the end.

I predict in History people will look back and wonder just HOW Trumpo took his fantasy lie as far as he did despite the ample proof to the contrary (Pence!?).

And how it undercut the GOP candidates who toed his party line. That is, the Trumplican Party, as they called it in Connecticut.

Katie Hobbs - another Dem who won against a GOP MAGA extremist.

I can't help wondering how many of those sycophants really believed in the myth of the Stolen Election, and how many just thought it would boost their popularity.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
A one percentage point win is still a win, but that means that over 49 percent of the voters voted for the MAGA candidate. That’s very disturbing.

And Arizona also did not elect the election denier Mark Finchem for Secretary of State, but by about the same margin.

And Mark Kelly over Blake Masters by a similar margin.

And so on.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30028 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Yeah. (If you were here you'd have heard a loud sigh.)

We have won a great victory at least in the sense of having far more opportunity to protect the values and principles (of WTF and ILK) than otherwise.

However, we have not solved the catastrophic underlying problems now dividing this country (indeed, the world, looking overseas).

The crumbs that remain of our Democracy are just that. It's a sad irony that those who represent themselves as the purist loyalists to those documents and principles, are doing the most to undermine them in their self-interest.

And not just in words but how everything is implemented. Thinking of dishonesty and corruption at every level, and most lately, the ways most (at least, enough) of those in power are managing to distort the system of taxation. It's as if feudal lords had devised a system to get the peasantry to vote for them, and call it Democracy.

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Election deniers lost governor’s races in AZ, CO, IL, KS, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, NY, PA, WI

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
A one percentage point win is still a win, but that means that over 49 percent of the voters voted for the MAGA candidate. That’s very disturbing.

No sh!t. It's appalling, and one reason why the gulf between people is growing. We are NOT a UNITED states at present. We are two antagonistic camps.

Posts: 12480 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I have a friend in AZ who knows some of these people. He’s center-left. He says Hobbs was a mediocre, inept candidate but Lake was awful. He thinks that was the predominant take among Hobbs voters.

Posts: 45721 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Laake lost the moment she disparaged McCain in Arizona. Fatal mistake.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13515 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention as a key vote influencer, the abortion issue. It's been clear for a long time that there's a peculiar split between the GOP party leaders and the actual voters about abortion.

Since it would become a state decided issue, pro-choice (polls show their being way in the majority) seems to have become a major vote decider too in the Mid-terms.

It wasn't just the extreme Election Deniers who turned people off on Candidates on the right, but ones who were extremely anti-Abortion. Maybe this reflects a split between how people respond to pollsters and how they really feel.

I remember when I was studying survey design, being very taken with what was called a Social Desirability Bias. It was capable of greatly distorting responses (with how the question was phrased also making quite a difference)

I think after the last elections, many of us are on the point of turning a blind eye to present polling techniques.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I have a friend in AZ who knows some of these people. He’s center-left. He says Hobbs was a mediocre, inept candidate but Lake was awful. He thinks that was the predominant take among Hobbs voters.

Agreed, a mediocre, inept candidate but a very good Sec'y of State. She is likely the one to take credit for Arizona not immediately capitulating to the wacko Trump desire to overturn the election outcome for Arizona. Of course we have no idea how she'll fare as governor, but I'd rather have a good official than a good candidate.

Lake was a good candidate. That was all. She parroted Trump because she had no actual thoughts of her own and was wholly unqualified to hold that office, wacko viewpoints aside.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Election deniers lost governor’s races in AZ, CO, IL, KS, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, NY, PA, WI

Well, this is good. And, Arizona's Republican candidate was plain obnoxious.

Posts: 24617 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

To paraphrase myself after your good job counting.

Don't forget the importance of the pro-life (the fetuses' life) at all costs candidates. Please refer to my post which came after yours (right before Nina's), and the issue I had been remiss about. It had been left out of the discussion here - still has, for that matter.

I point out the discrepancy between the number of voters who reported caring most about preserving a woman's right to choose and those who would ban abortion no matter what the circumstances.

They don't add up.

Especially when abortion is relegated to determination at the state level, it looks like candidates who got hysterical about banning abortion, also lost.

It would be interesting if someone (hint, hint) would see how that factored in wins. Maybe even (to make it fancier), how much overlap there was between that issue and the MAGA one in who came out ahead. Both were crucial game breakers.

(And why limit the counting to governors' races instead of including the senatorial ones? Even Hse of reps.)