well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Help! Chard?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! Chard?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted
Recently, somebody posted a chard recipe, or maybe it was two, because it seemed like some of it used the leaves and some of it used the stems.

We're going to have an unseasonable frost here tonight, so I had to harvest the whole garden. I've got a nice bunch of chard. Can somebody tell me where that recipe is, or else give me another recipe to use?

Unhelpful addendum--it needs to be low carb, because I'm starting Week 3 of keto. It's working, but Quirt is the one who is literally melting. I'm not sure how much he's lost. Twenty pounds? Twenty-five? Amazing...

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We had this discussion a while back:

http://well-temperedforum.grou...711071266#9711071266

Chard is mentioned several times....

We're in frost territory, too. The tomatoes that are still out there are pretty green, and I'm hoping that the green beans will make it overnight. It was really cold and rainy and I just couldn't bring myself to go out there and harvest the few remaining veggies...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I can only tell you that one piece of common wisdom about chard is: since the stems take so long to cook, separate them from the central ribs, chop the ribs and cook them separately. Then you can recombine them (If you cook the leaves whole, they may overcook).

So that's what I do, even though it's an extra step. The leaves (sans ribs) are much like spinach. They cook very fast.

And, yes, more info in the link above.

My Mexican cookbooks just say, chop the entire leaves and cook them till soft. Not my preferred method.

French recipes do chard with butter and cream. I'm sure it's divine, but doesn't fit in with my almost-vegan diet!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Skip the chard, go for chardonnay.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I don’t think I’ve ever eaten chard.

Should I try it?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
It's somewhat like spinach. The flavor is somewhat milder, but it's still on the earthy side.

This year, I grew a variety called "Perpetual Spinach." The stems are smaller and the texture is more tender than regular chard, so it's supposed to be more like spinach and I guess it is. Also, it's all green, and chard sometimes has red, orange, or yellow stems and veins.

Spinach doesn't live long anyplace I've ever lived. Once the weather starts to warm up, it turns into green goo. Chard can take a lot more heat, so my three chard plants hung in there for at least six months.

I never ate it in any quantity, but I often just went out there and cut a few leaves for an omelet or a stir-fry. I'd absolutely grow it again.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
We had this discussion a while back:

http://well-temperedforum.grou...711071266#9711071266

Chard is mentioned several times....

Alas, that's not the thread. There was one casserole recipe made with just the stems, and another stovetop(?) recipe for the leaves. Maybe the stems were creamed?

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Well, if it’s like spinach, try this.

4 slices bacon, half an onion. A little garlic. Fry it all up. Deglaze with apple cider vinegar. Remove from heat. Add a whole lot of chard leaves and cover for 10 minutes or so.

One Of my favorite meals from my childhood. ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Sounds delicious! And it's good for my stupid keto diet!

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
Sounds delicious! And it's good for my stupid keto diet!

Chard is wonderful. I saute' it with mushrooms and garlic, then use that as filling for enchiladas. Make whatever sauce you like. Divine!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, I sauteed some with mushrooms, tomatoes, and peppers and used the mixture to fill an omelet. Quick and easy!

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, if it’s like spinach, try this.

4 slices bacon, half an onion. A little garlic. Fry it all up. Deglaze with apple cider vinegar. Remove from heat. Add a whole lot of chard leaves and cover for 10 minutes or so

Definitely trying that, Steve.
For me, chard season is just beginning. I grow it in a pot in the covered entry way so I have a green veg at hand all winter, whether we forgot to shop or not. I like the rainbow chard - the stems make me smile. I bet the family will prefer the Perpetual Spinach tho - I'll look for seeds.

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post