well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I'll huff and puff and blow your house down
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'll huff and puff and blow your house down
 Login/Join

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

Someone point out a couple of weeks ago, and it was eye-opening for me, that Trump has avoided a nickname for Nancy. No Cryin', or Lyin', or Pocahontas. Just Nancy. He even announced that yesterday to reporters:

quote:
In other major news, Trump finally unveiled his nickname for Pelosi, telling reporters, saying at one point “Nancy Pelosi – or Nancy, as I call her.”

There is a school of thought that he respects her in ways in which he does not respect other members of Congress. I wonder if it's true.

Well, actually, that is a nickname. It’s a power thing. She calls him “Mr. President.” He calls her “Nancy.” Not “Madame Speaker.” Does she call him Donald? Donnie? Don? Nope.

--------------------------------
http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Totally agree, and it happens everywhere. I see it on campus a lot, where men are referred to as Dr. Smith, while their female colleagues are referred to by their first name.

And, in other news, Trump caved and agreed to delay the SOTU, allowing that her request is "her prerogative." Since the tweet contained decent grammar and big words, spelled correctly, I can only assume we'll hear from the actual POTUS later on, perhaps around 2 a.m.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Totally agree, and it happens everywhere. I see it on campus a lot, where men are referred to as Dr. Smith, while their female colleagues are referred to by their first name.

And, in other news, Trump caved and agreed to delay the SOTU, allowing that her request is "her prerogative." Since the tweet contained decent grammar and big words, spelled correctly, I can only assume we'll hear from the actual POTUS later on, perhaps around 2 a.m.

Yeah, and no all caps. I said the same thing to Mary Anna. Someone wrote it for him. No way in hell that man could spell "prerogative" even with a dictionary.

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Only One Way to Break Trump's Pathology, and Pelosi has Found It

My view, pretty much.

I think it's a little different, myself, and it can be summed up in the basic Israeli principle:

We Do Not Negotiate With Terrorists.

Trump is holding almost a million federal workers, plus who knows how many government contractors, millions more food stamp recipients, people and companies who need the services of the U.S. government, and in fact the entire U.S. economy hostage to his demand for a border wall.

We do not negotiate with terrorists.

Sargent gets close, but he doesn't quite get there.

quote:
This is the whole reason for shutting down the government: To break the influence that the Democratic House has over whether Trump’s wall will be funded, by threatening severe harm to the country until Democrats rubber stamp what he’s demanding as the price of ending that damage. The theory is that they will care more about that damage than he does. The true nature of the staggering malevolence driving Trump’s misconduct here is also being obscured by a great deal of both-sides media coverage. Once again, the only antidote to it may be the power of “no.”

I really wish someone (not Pelosi, because that might be something that His Vindictiveness would never forget) would frame it that way.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it's a little different, myself, and it can be summed up in the basic Israeli principle:

Except your example is wrong. They famously *do* pay ransoms, with the predictable effect.

USG doesn't, at least officially.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:

Except your example is wrong. They famously *do* pay ransoms, with the predictable effect.

USG doesn't, at least officially.

I suppose that's fair. Whether they practice what they preach is something different, isn't it? It's very much a micro vs. macro issue.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com...gotiating-terrorists

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Right, SK. But escalations beget escalations.

There’s a really good chance we’ve witnessed the last SOTU where congress and the president aren’t of the same party.

This was unnecessary, it didn’t help the negotiations about reopening the government, it just made it more personal.

Yes, that seems to be the only thing that tRump understands... personal. America no longer works in normal mode, so tactics need to change.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post