well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I'll huff and puff and blow your house down
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'll huff and puff and blow your house down
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted
Imbecile thinks he can barge into the house chambers without an invite. He has the invite but I hope Pelosi now cancels it.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/23...the-union/index.html

--------------------------------
http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Great thread title, Bernard!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Yeah, he got an invite from Pelosi, but he needs a concurrent resolution from the House and the Senate inviting him. Pelosi says, that's not happening.

So he is, in a way, barred from entering the House chambers, since the House hasn't invited him.

He has apparently recognized that he can't barge in. He's reduced to saying that the Democrats have been radicalized.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'd like to remind everyone who is clutching their pearls that this is exactly the same type of political posturing that McConnell and Paul Ryan have done for years. Yes, I realize that this is whataboutism, but you reap what you sow.

What's more dangerous is the precedent all of this is setting for the future, regardless of who is in power. Because at some point, "your" people will not be in power, but the new status of non-negotiation and hostage-taking is now firmly entrenched for the "other guy" to use.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Pelosi says, "No." (Wednesday)

quote:
“The House of Representatives will not consider a concurrent resolution authorizing the president’s State of the Union address in the House chamber until government has opened,” she wrote.

I'm glad to see some Democrats grow a spine after the years of being **** on by McConnell and the gop.

Is this political posturing? I say no. The government is shut down; 800,000 workers are not getting paid. Why should sotu go on as usual?

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
This is a mistake. Norms are all we have.

The tea partiers wanted to do this to Obama in 2015 and even they refrained.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

But Obama wasn't holding America hostage.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Having said that, I'd be perfectly happy to go back to the 19th century tradition of courier-delivered SOTUs.

And while we do that, lets reign in the imperial presidency and the administrative state and... WTF, why not world peace?

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
quote:

But having the SOTU occur unless congress deems the president undeserving is the same as not having the norm at all.

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
quote:

But having the SOTU occur unless congress deems the president undeserving is the same as not having the norm at all.

We're not living in normal times.

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ever since Republicans partially shut down the government over Trump’s demand for border wall funding, Pelosi has followed a simple and effective strategy: Don’t budge an inch.

I'm for it.

This is Pelosi's Finest Hour

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I’m with the don’t budge an inch. You can’t pay ransom on principle.

But this isn’t just not budging.

Serious question - who here thinks she can out-petty Donald Trump?

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Um, the minute the Republicans decided to blow off the Constitution and refuse to consider Obama's SCOTUS pick, all bets were off.

Maybe someday someone will be elected who can restore sanity.

For now, Dems are tired of being the only sane ones in the room.

It's time someone showed Trump that he cannot bully his way through every conflict.

Go, Nancy!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Um, the minute the Republicans decided to blow off the Constitution and refuse to consider Obama's SCOTUS pick, all bets were off.

Maybe someday someone will be elected who can restore sanity.

For now, Dems are tired of being the only sane ones in the room.

It's time someone showed Trump that he cannot bully his way through every conflict.

Go, Nancy!!!!!!!!!

+1

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
+100

Pelosi has the high ground. All she is asking is to reopen the government, which never should have been shut over a few billion dollar policy that Congress did not want. She will not be held hostage. Good on her.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post