well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Weld launches exploratory committee
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weld launches exploratory committee
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Former Massachusetts Gov. William F. Weld is launching a presidential exploratory committee to challenge President Trump in the Republican primaries, saying the country is “in grave peril” and he “cannot sit quietly on the sidelines any longer.”

Weld becomes the first Republican to officially announce he is exploring a run against Trump, and sets up a potential match-up in the first-in-the-nation New Hampshire presidential primary and in other states.

In prepared remarks at the “Politics & Eggs” breakfast in Bedford, N. H., Weld delivered a blistering critique of Trump, saying “we have a president whose priorities are skewed toward promotion of himself rather than toward the good of the country.”

“To compound matters, our President is simply too unstable to carry out the duties of the highest executive office — which include the specific duty to take care that the laws be faithfully executed — in a competent and professional matter,” Weld said in his prepared remarks. “He is simply in the wrong place.”

quote:
In his speech, the former federal prosecutor called out his own party for supporting Trump, saying “many Republicans exhibit all the symptoms of Stockholm Syndrome, identifying with their captor.”

“The truth is that we have wasted an enormous amount of time by humoring this President, indulging him in his narcissism and his compulsive, irrational behaviors,” Weld said.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2...ploratory-committee/

edit:

More from WaPo: https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.bb2ae648eef0

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
The Return of the Rockefeller Republicans!

Uh, probably not.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I preferred him to Gary Johnson in 2016. I still prefer him now to Trump. Or any other contender from either party that I can think of.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I preferred him to Gary Johnson in 2016. I still prefer him now to Trump. Or any other contender from either party that I can think of.

He has to know that this is nothing more than a vanity project, a way of getting national attention. In today's Republican Party, which is a combustible combination of crazies and cowards, there's no room for his candidacy. I cannot imagine that he is unaware.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Somebody's gotta try to be centrist. We aren't going to survive the extremes coming from both sides.

I'm glad to see people willing to take the plunge.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Somehow I agree with Quirt and WTG.

Oh, and if he runs I will write him a check in the primary.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Interview with Weld in Rolling Stone.

https://www.rollingstone.com/p...is-bill-weld-808033/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Hope he runs.
Might send a check as an Anybody But Trump contribution.
Have not supported a Republican since I was a student. Spent while talking to John Danforth and made a big $10 contribution for his run for Missouri Attorney General.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
QFT.

quote:
There’s too much pretending going on in [Republican] Washington D.C. That’s the nub of the problem. Everyone’s pretending that the president — he’s just a little different. They’re indulging him in his malignant narcissism. A malignant narcissist is someone who’s only happy when other people are losing.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
He's in.

quote:
William Weld, the former two-term governor of Massachusetts, announced Monday that he will challenge President Donald Trump for the Republican nomination for president in 2020.

“I’m in!” Weld said in a tweet announcing his candidacy, the first so far by a GOP contender to try to deny Trump’s bid for a second term in the White House.

Weld, 73, plans to be in New Hampshire on Tuesday for the first of two days of campaigning.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/1...tial-nomination.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
If he can give the saner Republicans an option, that can't be a bad thing. I hope he's wearing an asbestos suit, because little Donny will start attacking him pretty quickly, I predict.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I remember his name. I saw it every time I drove into Massachusetts in the early '90's.

My impression of him is generally favorable. I don't know what he can do in terms the 2020 race, though.

Btw, I saw a Kamala Harris ad today on YouTube. I switched it off and said: "Sit down!" to my screen. Smiler

I'm on a tangent now but the Democrats should drop their all complaint all the time mode. I've been avoiding politics but it might be time for me to cross some of them off my list.

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
He should have announced on Tuesday ...

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
groan....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
... why thank you! Big Grin