well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bye Bye, American Cheese ...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bye Bye, American Cheese ...
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Velveeta + Rotel.

Just sayin’

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 26511 | Location: Yorba Linda, CA | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lord Emperor Mom
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I have always loved Velveeta and Rotel dip. On a whim, I decided to make some last week for the first time in maybe fifteen years. It just wasn't as good. More bland. Thicker, and not in a good way. I was bereft.

Have they changed the recipe for either item in the past decade or so? Maybe they made the classic Rotel blander and you have to get one of the hotter varieties now? Or maybe they're using a different stabilizer in the faux cheese? Or have I figured out how to mess up a recipe that is literally "Dump two items in a bowl and nuke until you can stir them together"?

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 13954 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I've never been a big fan of American Cheese (or as a package I once looked at said (I am not making this up) "American style pasteurized process cheese food product"). But I understand its uses.

There was a seedy little tavern in Vienna Virginia called The Vienna Inn. It was cobbled together from a couple of mobile homes, scraps of siding, and scraps of wood paneling. There was a clothesline around the inside perimeter with pieces of paper with names of foods. This was theoretically the menu, but the only thing anyone ever ate there (at least more than once) was chilidogs. Plural! ChilidogS! If you ordered just one the waitress would question your parentage or virility. The recipe was simple: Oscar-Meyer all-beef wiener, Hormel no-beans chili, diced onions, French's mustard, and a generous glorp of melted Velveeta on a Wonder bun. The thing was, you could make the same thing at home, but somehow, it never tasted nearly as good.

For burgers and grilled cheese, I go to Tillamook mild cheddar. I think it melts just fine.

Everyone raves about Five Guys Burgers and Fries. I was disappointed to see that they use American cheese. For a place that it so hyped, I expected real cheddar. At least the fries are really good.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

When a door closes, a can of worms opens.

Posts: 26492 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Nachos <> nacho cheese dip.

Nachos > nacho cheese dip.

But for parties the cheese dip rules.

ThumbsUp

Slogan for ANYONE running against 45 in 2 years (Republicans included): “Hindsight 2020”

Posts: 20311 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
This country is getting too fancy for its own shadow.

Posts: 20712 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Cheddar cheeseburger is great.

Jf

Posts: 16981 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I've never been a big fan of American Cheese (or as a package I once looked at said (I am not making this up) "American style pasteurized process cheese food product"). But I understand its uses.

For burgers and grilled cheese, I go to Tillamook mild cheddar. I think it melts just fine.

Cheese food product! We used to use that for cheese toast for the kids; perfect melt in the toaster oven.

We use Tillamook sharp cheddar for our burgers and grilled cheese. The sharp is still made with milk from Tillamook County. The others are made over in eastern Oregon with milk from giant farms with waste management issues. You can tell the difference in the labeling: “Made with pride by Tillamook County Creamery Association” versus “Distributed by Tillamook County Creamery Association.”

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 7775 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
The sharp is still made with milk from Tillamook County. The others are made over in eastern Oregon with milk from giant farms with waste management issues. You can tell the difference in the labeling: “Made with pride by Tillamook County Creamery Association” versus “Distributed by Tillamook County Creamery Association.”
I had no idea.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
What about the extra sharp/black label? I'll have to check it out next time I'm in the store.

Posts: 31661 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
When it comes to cheddar, I eat a lot of Cabot cheese, most often their Seriously Sharp.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

Posts: 6361 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
REPEAL THE 16th AMENDMENT!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Good riddance to a horrible excuse for what passes as cheese.

No. I will take my cheddar aged a little thanks...

https://fromagination.com/prod...aged-cheddar-cheese/

Shrink the damn military industrial complex already!

Posts: 12432 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
What about the extra sharp/black label? I'll have to check it out next time I'm in the store.

I don’t know, but I’d guess as a premium cheese that it’s still made in Tillamook.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 7775 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
So, I took a deep breath and looked at the package of Tilamook Swiss slices I buy at Costco for my sandwiches for lunch.

Oh, dread. "Distributed by..."

Fake Cheese!

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
This country is getting too fancy for its own shadow.

Big Grin
I like that

Slogan for ANYONE running against 45 in 2 years (Republicans included): “Hindsight 2020”

Posts: 20311 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
So, I took a deep breath and looked at the package of Tilamook Swiss slices I buy at Costco for my sandwiches for lunch.

Oh, dread. "Distributed by..."

Fake Cheese!

Wait a minute. It is not soy, but diary. You may not like the source.