well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Better GPS for driving?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Better GPS for driving?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
When using Google Maps becomes too frustrating is a Garmin or Tom Tom device better?
The Google Maps on my Android phone changes my destination. It also wants to know whether I want to look for a restaurant for whatever when I want to see the map.
A larger screen and louder voice would also be nice.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Alternatives

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
CHAS, you might want to spell check the thread subject as you wrote dribing.

I have a couple of old, dedicated GPS navigator hardware by Tom Tom. I like Tom Tom's displays better ... the map just seems clearer on Tom Tom's display. But the convenience of typing/speaking place names rather than typing street address is a clear advantage that Internet-connected GPS apps have over dedicated, standalone GPS navigator.

Also, if you take a wrong turn, app based GPS will reroute you faster. Dedicated, standalone GPS navigator will take a lot longer to compute a new route because the hardware is generally slower/less powerful. The GPS app can recompute a route much faster (and much better) as the computation is actually done in the Cloud, with the results then pushed to the app on your phone.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I got rid of my Garmin.

I haven't had issues with GoogleMaps recommending restaurants or suchlike. Have you tried Wayz?

I don't use Wayz generally because it tends to force you to make a lot of bothersome route decisions to save you 60 seconds. And for some reason it sucks up battery very quickly.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I use Waze for long trips because it gives alerts for road hazards and police presence.

google maps led me very far astray a couple times in France. But around here I use it more than apple maps or waze. My biggest complaint with it is there's no way to tell it you are an HOV and can use the HOV exits and adjust the ETA for the HOV lane.

Yeah, all of them seem to drain the battery. I always plug in the phone when I am using GPS.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Waze quit working after one of the last phone updates. I was starting to become annoyed with the endless number of turns anyway.

Switched to Mapquest and like the way it works.

I put my phone in a mount like this when I am driving. Very convenient.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I like the phone mount. May try that.
Reviews of Garmin and Tom Tom on Amazon are not impressive.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Why not use your phone?

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Why not use your phone?

The app changes my destination without warning. When I want to glance at the screen there is often a page asking me whether I want to look for businesses.
Was on a freeway in Phoenix and it wanted to turn me around to take another route to save a couple of minutes.
It seems to do that whenever I use it. I don't know Phoenix.
Would like a larger screen.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I don't use Google Maps. My friend calls it "Google advertising and data theft with an occasional map".