well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Associate Degrees for DC Childcare Workers

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Associate Degrees for DC Childcare Workers
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
Associate Degree required for childcare workers:
https://www.washingtonpost.com...get-college-degrees/
Would one need an Associate Degree to provide childcare professionally?
After all, lots of degree-less parents take care of their own children just fine.
Is it like an electrical or a plumber where you can string your own wires and lay your own pipes yourself without a license, but you need a license to do the same for other people?

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
String your own wires? hysteric

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I expect to see a lot of new education requirements if "free college for all" becomes a thing.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I see this as a result of the continuing attacks on public education.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Boy, i don't know about this.

Is there any proof that children who are harmed in day care are disproportionately harmed by workers without college degrees? I don't see why the two things would be connected.

One of the child care center owners said she has 9 kids (don't know if she has a helper). If they are interested in enhancing safety, they should think about the ratios and measures to improve supervision, I would think.

Day care in the district is obscenely expensive already. I can't imagine what will happen when a big chunk of the day care providers can't find staff.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Oldest, until recently, was a preschool teacher (as was I) and worked in childcare while in HS.

The pay sucks...not a living wage by any means, not to mention very part time and variable hours...Let us not forget the stress.

Massachusetts has a childcare system with continuing ed requirements (that can be done online) and the community college offers early childhood ed class to get a state certification (I got it while I worked in a daycare/preschool but my lovely family daycare employer paid for it).

If you ask for an associates degree, you will find that there will be a dire shortage of childcare workers...just sayin. The cost of the education is not worth the wages earned in the field.

And many of the best day care workers are parents..What better education is there than to raise your own kids?

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post