well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How Long?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Long?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
I'm curious how long people are expecting that they will need to practice social isolation.

My personal expectation is through the summer. Unless, unexpectedly, this virus falls off in the summer (like the flu) ... only to come roaring back in October ... I figure that we are holed up until at least September. But I wouldn't be shocked if it lasted well into 2021.

Anyone else have any guesses?

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Not a ******* clue. I just hope there is something left for me to buy at the grocery store when I get out of quarantine on the 28th.

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I’m expecting a year or so.

Basically the timeline is vaccination. So a year maybe? Fall if we’re lucky.

True we could get lucky and have a reprieve in the summer, but I’d be pretty wary personally about breaking self isolation and would be the first to pick it back up again in the fall.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
An effective antiviral might speed things up a bit. That and a population that has developed some resistance.

Through the end of the year at least.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I'm prepared to go the distance, but I wonder how long will the general population will adhere to it?

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I’m guessing through the end of summer.

I hope that the world is salvageable after that.
-_-

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Even though it is like spitting in the ocean, I have begun planting my tiny garden and I've ordered more seeds.

There's no way I could keep us alive indefinitely, but it will stretch our supplies and give us--mostly me, since Quirt doesn't like many veggies--some variety and nutrients in our diets.

If it's truly going to be bad for as long as people are saying in this thread, I think we'll be glad for anything I can grow.

On the more cheerful side, the radishes, carrots, arugula, snow peas, green peas, and onions I planted in February are doing very well!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I'm picturing some sort of start-stop-start... routine, where things open up and people gather again while watching the numbers to see when to close things down again.

Without a system in place to feed the population and eliminate having to pay bills, what are most people without savings supposed to do??

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I've heard that several epidemics and pandemics in the past have had a second wave that hits harder than the first.

If this does taper off in the summer and come roaring back in the fall, let us hope that our government, our health care system, and everything else uses that respite to prepare for the second wave. Build ventilators. Prepare millions of test kits. Make hundreds of millions of face masks and other protective gear. Maybe even build a couple hospitals or convert other facilities to serve as hospitals.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I read recently (I apologize for not having the link) that current spread in South East Asia is an indicator that the virus may not be impacted by summer months.

I’m a little more optimistic. I think things may return to relative normal by the summer. Remember, there’s still a good chance more than half the population will get this. The goal is just to spread it out so the health care system can cope.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read recently (I apologize for not having the link) that current spread in South East Asia is an indicator that the virus may not be impacted by summer months.

I read something similar in Japanese news. I think there are too many unknowns right now to expect for a seasonal relationship like flu and colds.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
The tapering off of the first wave doesn't need to be related to the weather... just that a lot of people caught it, people took measures to stem the spread, then people got complacent.

Also, viri are known to mutate and become more virulent (hence the name). The question then will be whether the vaccine being developed will be effective for the mutations.

We do have a lot of very smart scientists and doctors who understand this stuff. But most of them have been removed from government agencies or stifled so that Dear Leader doesn't look bad. And the fighting and blame-laying between the FDA and CDC isn't helping.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Vox says social distancing may last a year or more.

https://www.vox.com/science-an...ow-long-months-years

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
More on that British report referenced in Quirt's Vox link.

quote:
Immediately after Boris Johnson completed his Monday evening news conference, which saw a somber prime minister encourage his fellow citizens to avoid "all nonessential contact with others," his aides hustled reporters into a second, off-camera briefing.

That session presented jaw-dropping numbers from some of Britain’s top modelers of infectious disease, who predicted the deadly course of coronavirus could quickly kill hundreds of thousands in both the United Kingdom and the United States, as surges of sick and dying patients overwhelmed hospitals and critical care units.

The new forecasts, by Neil Ferguson and his colleagues at the Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team, were quickly embraced by Johnson’s government to design new and more-extreme measures to suppress the spread of the virus.

The report is also influencing planning by the Trump administration. Deborah Birx, who serves as the coordinator of the White House coronavirus task force, cited the British analysis at a news conference Monday, saying her task force was especially focused on the report’s conclusion that an entire household should self-quarantine for 14 days if one of its members is stricken by the virus.

The Imperial College group reported that if nothing was done by governments and individuals and the pandemic remained uncontrolled, then 510,000 would die in Britain and 2.2 million in the United States over the course of the outbreak.

These kinds of numbers are deeply concerning for countries with top-drawer health-care systems. They are terrifying for less-developed countries, global health experts say.

If Britain and the United States pursued much more ambitious measures to mitigate the spread of coronavirus, to slow but not necessarily stop epidemic over the coming few months, they could reduce mortality by half, to 260,000 people in the United Kingdom and 1.1 million in the United States.

Finally, if the British government quickly went all-out to suppress viral spread — aiming to reverse epidemic growth and reduce the case load to a low level — then the number of dead in the country could drop to below 20,000. To do this, the researchers said, Britain would have to enforce social distancing for the entire population, isolate all cases, demand household quarantines of households where anyone is sick, and close all schools and universities — and do this not for weeks but for 12 to 18 months, until a vaccine is available.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...rategies/ar-BB11jVNP

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post