well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Call 911, Get Fined or Evicted

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Call 911, Get Fined or Evicted
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
Welcome to the police state, where police only want to do what THEY want to do.

https://slate.com/news-and-pol...y010vFMBmgnjXXQ_mL1s

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
yeesh what a crock

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
It's sick and perverted that they call these "crime-free ordinances". Sure. If you threaten people with fines and eviction if they report a crime, your crime statistics go down. Thus the most crime-ridden areas become the most safe.

War is Peace

Freedom is Slavery

Ignorance is Strength

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
jeez

so much for "protect and serve"

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It all started when no one pushed back against RICO.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
It all started when no one pushed back against RICO.
Would you mind expanding on that a bit when you a chance? I'm not seeing the connection from "chronic nuisance ordinance" to RICO.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Part of the RICO statute provides that authorities can seize your property if they suspect the property is being used for "illegal purposes". It's up to you to prove that your property was not used that way and/or if it was then you had no idea. Good luck with that.

This is so difficult to prove as to be nearly impossible. If they decide to seize your apartment building they will not maintain it, nor will they collect the rents or turn them over to you - a big problem if you rely on these rents to make a mortgage payment. Eventually a lot of properties go back to the bank. I'm not sure what the bank does with them.

It's not just buildings; it's cars, boats, motorcycles and airplanes, any of which can be seized at any time and all of which may be appropriated by local law enforcement for their own purpose. This is how our local departments get so many nice cars to drive "undercover". It's how the Sheriff's department ended up with a 500 acre resort in the mountains they now use for "training."

It's also how the trend of seizing cash during traffic stops got started. It's very lucrative, and indeed some departments derive over half of their funding this way.

Landlords have gotten extra vigilant about removing deadbeats from their properties for fear of losing the their buildings to seizure. It hasn't helped the homeless situation much, and now it looks like local authorities have found they can use this trend to get landlords to do the work their departments are supposed to do.

It was always a bad law and it's getting worse.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
RICO is a federal law, so I'm not sure how a local sheriff's department gets a 500-acre spread from it.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Welcome to the police state, where police only want to do what THEY want to do.

https://slate.com/news-and-pol...y010vFMBmgnjXXQ_mL1s

Agreed.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
RICO is a federal law, so I'm not sure how a local sheriff's department gets a 500-acre spread from it.

I don’t know exactly, but I suspect it’s the same way municipal PDs get to seize and keep cash they find while making a traffic stop.