well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Where to purchase new HVAC? (Now w/ pics)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to purchase new HVAC? (Now w/ pics)
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the house has gotten by with a 3 ton unit for the last 50 years then it will likely get by with a 3 ton now. A 3.5 ton unit might cool the house a bit more quickly.

This. I remember I was thinking about that before, both with regard to the unit itself and also the ductwork. The house was cool on a super hot day when we visted last fall, and it's warm when we need it to be now. But I had sort of lost sight of this point, so thank you for reminding me that I need to remind myself of it regularly!

Also, regarding your other comments, yes, we definitely need to do some upgrades, including sealing windows etc. and also checking on the attic. I've only been up there once, and now I don't remember what the insulation looks like. Maybe Mr. SK does. Or, duh, I can go look up there tomorrow when I'm there. But all of those things will surely help.

Re trees, I think the house gets lots of shade in the summer, on the south and west sides. -- although I'll know for sure soon enough!

And yes, eventually I do want to re-do the windows, I'm sure going to double pane would make a huge difference!

What's a vinyl window? What part(s) of the window is vinyl?

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
What's a vinyl window? What part(s) of the window is vinyl?

Pretty much everything but the glass, which is great because you never have to paint them and there is nothing to rot.

Lots of different styles available:

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, very nice.

Yeah, we want those! Something to save for!

I'll probably put them underneath "grand piano" on the priority list though...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post