well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    You're a f****** scary kitty cat ...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You're a f****** scary kitty cat ...
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Yes indeed H/T Quirt

Why you should not run on isolated rocky mountain trails ... alone.

Posts: 12503 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
We see moose, mule deer and foxes around my place.
Have only seen one mountain lion. That was at my previous place. Also saw a lot of skunks.
Saw no more skunks after that sighting.
Snowshoe hares are the favored diet of mountain lions. They were here in abundance in the 90s, but have been rare since.
I go alone when there is no one handy to go with.
Sitting is also deadly.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why you should not run on isolated rocky mountain trails ... alone.

Indeed!! That was super scary! I think maybe the scariest thing was him trying to make noises and saying "I'm big and scary" or whatever it was he kept saying, that was very, very real.

But wow, what a beautiful trail that was! suave

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18320 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
HairRaising

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37770 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
More info (interview after the fact, commentary from DWR person etc.)

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2...M92rCLoorLjHwFgUL8tY

Wow, as the DWR person says, the guy is the video really did do an amazing job!

Posts: 18320 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I remember thinking right from the start of the video, "grab a rock, grab a rock." And finally, at the very end he manages to nail her with a pebble and she scampers off. Now I understand that he was afraid to take his eyes off of her, and that he did bend down several times only to have her lunge at that moment when he stopped "being large."

I have a beautiful trail system that runs just a few hundred yards from my house in Santa Fe, maybe 300 vertical feet above the property. It's the Dale Ball trail system. I've hiked those trails alone before. Not so sure I want to do that again. We have mountain lions and very large bears routinely wandering in those hills.

This is the trail

Posts: 12503 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not so sure I want to do that again.

Yeah, even with a big stick, it's pretty scary!

Although it's said that bears don't usually attack, and in Japan the advice is to carry something that jangles and makes noise. This is supposed to alert them to your presence so that they run off, rather than you happening upon them and giving them a scare...

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Q: Know what you find in bear scat?
A: Bear bells

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post