well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Frozen veg
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frozen veg
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Frozen veg get no respect and I’m wondering why.

Opinion pieces about food deserts complain that fresh veg aren’t available but never suggest frozen. Programs designed to help people eat in a healthy way invariably emphasize fresh, even though fresh veg go bad quickly and often take a lot of time to prepare. TV contest chefs, when faced with making a meal that can’t include fresh veg, always reach for cans.

I’m a child of the 60’s, and I grew up on frozen veg. They were promoted as superior to canned (they are), convenient to store and use (they are) and nutritionally equal to fresh (close enough). Some frozen veg are equal to fresh in various recipes (corn in chili) and others are hard to distinguish from their fresh versions (lima beans).

So why no love for frozen veg? The packers are doing the system a favor by sorting through and packing veg that aren’t pretty enough to sell fresh. The price is right - no waste. The prep is a cinch. Everyone has a freezer. Maybe it’s all about nostalgia for how grandma used to cook, or maybe it’s the influence of Julia Child the French chef.

What am I missing? Do you use them?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34962 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Edit to add: my Grandma worked every day of her adult life. She used canned everything.

Posts: 34962 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Texture. Never quite right. Frozen corn is pretty good. Other than that I use frozen prechopped onions and mirepoix.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I grew up on frozen vegetables too.

I use frozen corn sometimes. I use frozen spinach for a biryani dish my son eats, and i'll use frozen peas in stir-fries.

But as for frozen vegetables that I just heat and serve, it's only corn. And that only sometimes.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Some frozen green beans are very good.

Until they sit in my freezer for months! And that may be part of the reason - people try to treat frozen just like canned, thinking they will last forever if frozen.

Maybe if we treated them more like fresh, and used them within a couple of days of purchase??

I remember reading somewhere that nutritionally, flash-frozen right near the fields is better than fresh that has been trucked across the country?

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I use frozen corn, peas and green beans with some regularity, but not as "stand alone" veggies. They go into stews, soup, etc. They are far superior to canned, IMO. BUT I also grew up on canned veggies, and the taste of canned green beans really takes me back to being a kid. Every now and then, I will just pick up a can and eat it. Don't judge. Smiler

Oh, I also use frozen pearl onions. I think that's it.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I use frozen corn, petite peas, petite green beans, edamame. I don’t use canned vegetables; they give me flashbacks to grade school hot lunch!

Oh, I also use frozen mixed vegetables in a really easy chicken pie that has a biscuit crust.

Nutritionally, I think the frozen vegetables are closer to fresh than canned vegetables are. And the texture is better.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Ha! Nina, we were posting at the same time. It’s the canned green beans that remind me of school lunch!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I use frozen corn and spinach in soups. I freeze beans and corn out of cans when I only use half. I have some frozen potatoes that work in some things - but none of those things really do well by themselves. The potatoes maybe. The frozen veggies used in stirfry just aren’t the same (I don’t mind the peas, but mr. Jodi hates peas, for some reason). We use a ton of canned tomatoes. When we had a big garden I froze the tomatoes and applesauce instead of canning them - it was easier.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20459 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, canned tomatoes. I buy them by the case from Costco. Forgot about those.

AdagioM Big Grin

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I am trying to learn about frozen vegetables; never bought them very often. Certainly peas are the best, and a good deal because you can't find fresh ones in the market very often.

I bought from Trader Joe's a frozen bag of stir-fry vegetables, and there was just something off about them; they tasted almost pre-cooked somehow. Maybe others are better.

These days, if the washing and chopping of fresh vegetables is what you want to eliminate, you can buy (for an upcharge, of course) fresh vegetables pre-chopped in many combinations.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Grew up on canned. And then overcooked. Gross. Maybe that is why I still hate veggies!

I grow what I like and flashfreeze what I need to. And tomatoes/peppers/herbs make gallons of frozen sauce for the winter.

And why do we need frozen or canned when our produce depts are full of fresh?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
... the taste of canned green beans really takes me back to being a kid.

The taste of canned corn takes me back to the cafeteria of my elementary school. But home was frozen corn.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
And why do we need frozen or canned when our produce depts are full of fresh?

Because so much of it rots before anyone can eat it - 50% by some estimates. It seems like such a waste. Not all of it comes from private kitchens but I've read where most of it does. Some comes from grocery stores and restaurants and some is left in the field when the market changes.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Oh yeah, canned tomatoes. I buy them by the case from Costco. Forgot about those.

AdagioM Big Grin

Made me look up why there are no frozen tomatoes. Turns out that when you freeze a tomato it changes both the taste and the texture and not for the better. Apparently it's not a problem with sauces, but canned tomatoes work so well in sauces that no one has put much thought in to developing a tomato you can freeze.

As for frozen peas; we used to get big old frozen dark green peas that I thought were delicious and had some heft to them. Now it seems everyone offers only "petit" or some such. I wonder if the market changed or if the smaller peas are less expensive to produce?