well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    She's not dead yet

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

She's not dead yet
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Or is she? Roll Eyes

quote:
Robert Barnes has been a reporter and editor at The Washington Post for more than 30 years. For the past 12, he has covered the Supreme Court.

This week he experienced something he says was a first in his career: a storm of commentators, many anonymous, swarming his social media accounts and email inbox to tell him that something he saw with his own eyes and reported in The Post did not actually happen: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, alive and well, attending a performance about her life at a museum in Washington — her first public appearance since she underwent cancer surgery in December.

A falsehood has been spreading in dark corners of the Internet that Ginsburg is dead — and in the hours after Barnes published his report, conspiracy theorists pelted him with their doubt-mongering. Photos were not allowed at the event, so one of the doubters emailed Barnes 21 questions about Ginsburg’s appearance — the size of her security detail, what gender they were, for example — telling Barnes that if he did not answer every single one of them, it would be a sign his article was not to be believed.

quote:
The Fox News show “Fox & Friends” briefly aired a graphic indicating that Ginsburg had died, then quickly apologized. James Woods, an actor who is a mainstay of the conspiracy-laden parts of the pro-Trump Internet, helped get the hashtag #WheresRuth trending on Twitter on Jan. 28. Two days later, Sebastian Gorka — a former adviser of President Trump’s — tweeted “Still no sign” to his 700,000 followers, noting the State of the Union was about a week away.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.9c41f7ac60a4

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37875 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
ghoulish behavior

I am the walrus, coo coo ka choo

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It must be awful to be in her position and have so many eager for your demise. Sick.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yes. But on the other hand, she also has many people who are eager to see her live a long and happy life.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
That’s true. But I think all in all I’d rather the world be casually but benignly indifferent to my fate.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post