well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Lots of high fives in Chicago today - briefing

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lots of high fives in Chicago today - briefing
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
The Army Corps of Engineers and Walsh Construciton have built out a 500 bed hospital in Chicago's McCormick Place convention center.

They did it in five days.

The beds will be for COVID-19 patients who don't need ICU support, but just medical support and maybe oxygen.

By the end of the month there will be 3000 beds.

They're going to be re-opening three shuttered hospitals; I missed when that will happen. One in a far western suburb, one in a southern suburb, and one in a near west suburb (the town I grew up in).

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Testing came up as a question. Pritzker says the state is on its own for testing, as the millions of tests promised by the federal government haven't come through.

Testing supplies like swabs and test reagents are still in short supply and hard to get.

We're at 5,000 tests per day right now with Illinois' efforts, he'd like to get up to 10,000 at a minimum, with 100,000 per day as a goal.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Mayor Lori Lightfoot, and to a lesser extent Gov Pritzker, just handed Kushner his ass.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Kushner. Confused

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Kushner was ripped in absentia.

A question came up about what Kushner said yesterday, about the federal stockpile not belonging to the states.

Pritzker tried to be diplomatic, Lightfoot let Kushner have it.

quote:
Gov. J.B. Pritzker and Mayor Lori Lightfoot ripped into White House senior adviser Jared Kushner on Friday for his comments about a federal stockpile of medical supplies as officials continue to push for additional resources from the federal government.

“The notion of the federal stockpile was it’s supposed to be our stockpile,” Kushner said at a White House press briefing Thursday. “It’s not supposed to be the states’ stockpiles that they then use.”

Kushner’s comments drew widespread backlash, and the Associated Press and other news outlets reported that Donald Trump’s administration changed its description of the Strategic National Stockpile on government websites.

“I don’t know if Jared Kushner knows this, but it’s called the United States of America. And the federal government, which has a stockpile, is supposed to be backstopping the states. He apparently does not know that,” Pritzker said at his daily briefing Friday.

Both the state and Chicago have supplies stockpiled, and they’re dipping into those supplies. In a recent shipment Illinois received from the federal government were surgical masks, not the N95 masks Pritzker requested. Pritzker also said earlier this week the state needed 4,000 more ventilators.

“I don’t think anybody expected a respiratory pandemic that would deplete all of the respiratory stockpiles that exist… and that the federal government would abdicate its role, and have 50 states, and five territories on top of that, all competing with one another, and competing against the federal government to get the PPE (personal protective equipment) that’s necessary,” Pritzker said.

“So I think Jared Kushner just does not understand this issue. He does not understand what the federal government’s role is supposed to be in a national emergency.”

Lightfoot said Kushner was “casting aspersions on the hard work of governors across this country who have been working tirelessly.”

“We shouldn’t have to beg the federal government to step up and assume its responsibility here. When we hear from the head of the CDC that the federal stockpile, the federal stockpile, only has 10,000 ventilators, the question we should ask is what the heck has the Trump administration been doing over the last three and a half years?” Lightfoot said.

“What that tells me, and I think what that tells public health professionals across the nation, is that the federal government has failed to do the planning that it needs on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis to be prepared.” —

Bazootiehead-in-training