well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The humble kohlrabi
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The humble kohlrabi
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
We got a couple of softball-sized kohlrabis in our CSA box last week. Went looking for recipes and decided to try this one. It's similar to a shredded zucchini fritter that I occasionally make.

Kohlrabi-Corn Fritters with Herbed Yogurt Sauce

Absolutely delicious! I used fresh basil from my garden and scallions from Farmer John (our CSA guy). We had a great light dinner with some potatoes on the side. I used more eggs than the recipe called for because our kohlrabi was pretty big and the mixture looked dry when I put in the two eggs that the recipe calls for. The curry flavor was subtle; I might increase it next time.

I still have one left and am going to try one of these recipes:

Shaved Kohlrabi with Apple and Hazelnuts

Kohlrabi and Apple Slaw

Kohlrabi and Egg Noodles

This vegetable deserves more attention....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37761 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
You mean the alien looking vegetable I once posted a topic about? It’s a bulb vegetable with stems growing out of the top, sides, and bottom.

I bought a bunch last year at a farmer’s market. I pickled the kohlrabi according to the recipe in the link below. Because they don’t have much of a taste, they taste good after being pickled. A farmer’s market near me is the only place I know of that sells them. I’ve never seen kohlrabi sold in stores.

https://alexandracooks.com/201...hat-to-do-with-them/

Posts: 1410 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Now that you've reminded me, I remember the thread you're talking about. Will keep the pickled version in mind.

I'm pretty sure I see them at Mariano's pretty regularly, or at least when they're in season.

https://www.marianos.com/p/koh...8?fulfillment=PICKUP

I bought some at Jewel maybe 20 years ago or more but however I prepared them we weren't impressed with the result so I kind of stopped there.

When they came up in the list of available veggies from our farmer this year I decided to give them another try. I like them!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37761 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
better than carrots or celery - peeled and cut up raw for munchy food! My mom grew them in the garden when we were young.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I’ve bought it and cooked it, but can’t say I’ve found any knockout ways to use it.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13777 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
On my first kohlrabi-cooking outing, I just peeled them, rubbed them with avocado oil and salt, and roasted them. They were really, really good. I was expecting something like roasted broccoli or cauliflower or brussels sprouts, but they had a flavor and texture all their own.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
We got one in our CSA last week, too. My wife just peeled it and cut it into strips like rontuner described. It was very good raw, tasting vaguely like cabbage. The next time we get one, we'll try one of the recipes in this thread.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7373 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I think they would be great pickled or marinated too.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13777 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Bought one (a big one) at the green market yesterday. Open to all cooking suggestions.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The fritter recipe called for using a dish towel to squeeze out the extra liquid in the kohlrabi. I didn't salt it like I normally do zucchini but still got a lot of water. I think the fritters would have been watery if I had skipped this step.

I plan to treat it the same way when I try it raw in one of the kohlrabi-apple slaw recipes.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
IIRC it doesn't taste like much. I'd try pickling it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34836 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Tried the kohlrabi and apple slaw and liked it a lot. I didn't do the squeeze-out-the-water step and there was a fair bit of liquid after the slaw sat in the frig overnight. Not bad, but I think it's worth the effort to squeeze the water out beforehand.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Madcap Compatriot
posted Hide Post
Oh, Kohlrabi - I really hated that as a kid. Today I love it raw ( and its superhealthy) or as a side dish with a light white sauce.

Trying to convert the metrics...
1 Kohlrabi, 1 tablespoon of butter, 2 tablespoons of wheat flour, water, pepper, salt, nutmeg. Fresh parsley and/or cream, if wanted.

Cook peeled and sliced/wedged/diced/batonneted(?) (about 1/2 inch) Kohlrabi for 8 to 15 Minutes "al dente" in salted water. When you pour the cooking water, safe one cup. Let it cool down to room temperature (or use your fridge).
Melt butter and add flour while stirring. Then slowly pour your safed cooking water into the mix, still stirring. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste. Parsley looks nice (and tastes nice) with it. And if you are not into all this "light" stuff, add cream...
Its a "quick and dirty" side dish and goes nicely with beef .

Posts: 202 | Location: Germany | Registered: 14 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That sounds very good! It didn't occur to me to look for a recipe in the Dr Oetker German Cooking Today cookbook that I have. I looked it up after you posted and their recipe sounds like yours. The nutmeg sounds interesting, and they also mention dill.

And it's a relief to see you here. I was thinking about you when the flooding in Germany was making the news. I hope you weren't affected.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Madcap Compatriot
posted Hide Post
Hi wtg, thanks for thinking of me!
No, I´m fine, as the rainfalls and floods were quite localised, most of Germany just had normal or no rainfall. Still, the freak weather brought up to 150 litres of rain per square meter within 24hours (should be around 3 gallons per square foot) in some places, which was far too much to handle for any canalisations or rivers. It will take some time (years) to repair the infrastucture, and preventive measures will have to be found.
The US always had its share of natural disasters, while we here in Germany/ Northern Europe thought to be on the safe side. Not any more, it seems...

On a lighter side, the "light white sauce" has been a staple in the german cuisine for a long time, used for many cabbage type vegetables. No wonder it is included in your Dr. Oetker book! For instance, it also goes nicely with cauliflower. I have never tried it with dill, though. Might be worth a try!

Greetings from the other side of the atlantic and stay healthy!

PS: Just printed your fritters recipe. Definitly going to try that!

Posts: 202 | Location: Germany | Registered: 14 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post