well-temperedforum.groupee.net
The Gates Foundation to Offer Home Testing Kits for Coronavirus

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/6183969397

09 March 2020, 10:13 AM
QuirtEvans
The Gates Foundation to Offer Home Testing Kits for Coronavirus
https://www.seattletimes.com/s...cEUc7iMT_LV5BB2XEuL8
09 March 2020, 10:16 AM
wtg
ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

09 March 2020, 10:18 AM
Mikhailoh
The power of private capital.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

09 March 2020, 10:21 AM
wtg
And of emotional intelligence.

Gates and Musk. Interesting contrast.

quote:
On Friday, Musk tweeted:
"The coronavirus panic is dumb"

Now, contrast that response with that of Gates, who recently posted an article on his blog entitled, "How to respond to COVID-19."

"In the past week, COVID-19 has started to behave a lot like the once-in-a-century pathogen we've been worried about," writes Gates.

"I hope it's not that bad, but we should assume that it will be until we know otherwise."

You can really see how stark the contrast is of these two responses when you place them side by side:

Musk: "The coronavirus panic is dumb"
Gates: "I hope it's not that bad, but we should assume that it will be until we know otherwise."

Musk and Gates both possess brilliant minds. But while one of these responses is potentially dangerous, the other promotes a rational, "safety-first" mentality--and could possibly lead to saving millions of lives.

https://www.inc.com/justin-bar...al-intelligence.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

09 March 2020, 11:35 AM
jodi
Good for them.

Smiler Jodi

09 March 2020, 12:07 PM
Steve Miller
ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

09 March 2020, 01:23 PM
Daniel
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
The power of private capital.

On the contrary. This is a government function. We wouldn't be in this position with testing it the government had been doing its job six weeks ago.
09 March 2020, 02:09 PM
CHAS
ThumbsUp

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

09 March 2020, 02:29 PM
Nina
I agree with Daniel -- this shouldn't be a private capital investment or issue. The fact that the Gates Foundation is willing to step up is good news in the short term, but ultimately exhibits a profound failure of the federal government to do its job.
09 March 2020, 02:49 PM
QuirtEvans
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I agree with Daniel -- this shouldn't be a private capital investment or issue. The fact that the Gates Foundation is willing to step up is good news in the short term, but ultimately exhibits a profound failure of the federal government to do its job.

Oh, yeah.
09 March 2020, 03:03 PM
Mikhailoh
The Gates Foundation - and all private organizations - can move a lot more quickly than government simply by the decision process.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

09 March 2020, 07:06 PM
Nina
gates foundation is funding testing kits for Seattle residents only.

Yoohoo! Nike...! Evil