well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Winter Olympics 2022

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winter Olympics 2022
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I used to follow winter sports pretty avidly but haven't for decades years. I have no clue who the big players are in alpine skiing or figure skating, two sports I used to enjoy watching.

List of Olympic events

I'm thinking I'm going to make it a point to catch some of the Olympics this year, just to see what's going on.

Got any favorite sports? Boycotting this year's Games?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I always loved the Winter Games, but will watch exactly zero this year. Between not knowing what's going on, and having a huge writing project with a fast-approaching deadline I don't have time for anything other than procrasti-posting on WTF.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I expect to watch a lot of it.
I judge the alpine skiers harshly. Smiler Every turn deserves a critique.
The only person I ever asked for an autograph was Phil Mahre. He wrote, "Go fast, take chances"
I loved racing and did well, but have a way of "going for the gold", rather than being sensible. I may share that with some of the contenders.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I think this will be the first winter olympics that are being conducted on 100% manufactured snow, at great environmental cost.

What's next? Dubai as host?

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think this will be the first winter olympics that are being conducted on 100% manufactured snow, at great environmental cost.

Oh wow, I had no idea!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Neither did I.

quote:
One assessment comparing each event from 1992 to 2020 found that, contrary to official policy, Games were becoming less — not more — sustainable. “There is quite the disconnect between the rhetoric on the one hand and the outcomes on the other,” said Martin Müller, a professor of geography and sustainability at the University of Lausanne in Switzerland....

At the same time, the IOC risks turning countries off the idea of hosting the Games if it makes the bidding process too onerous. By the time the final decision was made in 2015, Beijing’s only challenger for 2022 hosting rights was Kazakhstan’s Almaty, the scene of violent protests this month, after other candidates, including Oslo and Stockholm, dropped out for lack of public support.

When the obvious host countries aren't interested, I wonder how long the Games can survive.

Or maybe the question is, how long can we survive the Games....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...old-water/ar-AASXHx5

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post