well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    He might want to reconsider....

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

He might want to reconsider....
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
President Trump on Wednesday discouraged Americans from purchasing Goodyear tires after it was reported that company employees in Kansas were told not to wear “Make America Great Again” attire or other politically-affiliated gear.

“Don’t buy GOODYEAR TIRES - They announced a BAN ON MAGA HATS. Get better tires for far less!” Trump tweeted Wednesday morning, adding in parentheses, “This is what the Radical Left Democrats do. Two can play the same game, and we have to start playing it now!”

https://thehill.com/homenews/a...r-maga-attire-report

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Hopefully he just lost 10-20k votes in Ohio ... Big Grin

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hopefully he just lost 10-20k votes in Ohio .

That's what I was thinking.

He's suck a f***ing idiot.

sorry

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
Hopefully he just lost 10-20k votes in Ohio .

That's what I was thinking.

He's suck a f***ing idiot.

sorry

Totally agree.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

This!

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:

Saw that. Double down Don at work. And so easy to predict.

He's pathetic.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
He's pathetic

Yes

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
BTW, isn't Goodyear the only major American tire co? Bridgestone and Yokohama are Japanese... is there another American tire company?

Not that he cares, he's happy to have those MAGA hats made in China...

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Firestone?

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
He runs into the "buy American" problem....what is "American" when the company is foreign?

quote:
Looking down a highway, it is plain to see that the automotive industry is truly a global enterprise. Cars are often assembled in countries far afield from the corporate headquarters, using parts from myriad countries. The same can be said for tires, as evidenced by the hundreds we bought to test last year.

The 72 car tire models we tested this year came from all over the world. This batch included 21 brands, with those tires made in 19 countries.

Tires manufactured in the United States were most numerous, but no single country was a majority source, as you'll see below. However, it is possible the production balance could shift stateside in the future, as several new tire plants are slated for construction in the U.S. in the next couple of years.

BFGoodrich, Cooper, Dunlop, Firestone, General, Goodyear, Michelin, and Yokohama currently build tires here in America, although these are not all truly American brands.

For instance, BFGoodrich is owned by Michelin, based in France; Firestone is owned by Bridgestone (Japan); and General is owned by Continental (Germany). Yokohama is a Japanese company.

Complicating national pedigree further, manufacturers might not build all their models exclusively in any one country. The Goodyear tires we tested were built in Canada, Chile, Germany, and the U.S. Michelin tires were manufactured in Italy, Spain, and the U.S., but none came from France. And the tires we tested from Italian tire maker Pirelli were made in Mexico and Russia.

Our testing program showed no clear trend that would correlate performance with country of origin, even by tire type. Still, it is interesting to see that 40 percent of the all-season tires were made in the U.S.; in contrast only 1 of 23 winter tires was built here.

So, national bragging rights have no traction—especially when so many tires are not built in the brand’s home nation. The closest trend we found is that Consumer Reports’ top scoring all-season, performance all-season, and winter tires came from Italy, Mexico, Portugal, Spain, Russia, and the U.S.

https://www.consumerreports.or...where-are-tires-made

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
It's true of the cars themselves. If you drive a Honda, it may have been built in the U.S. Same for a lot of other "foreign" car manufacturers.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
So true. My Subaru was built in the US. I think the only part that is consistently sourced in Japan is the engine (or maybe that's Honda that's doing that). My last Mercedes was built in Germany, but my ex's ML430 was built in the US. My last Volvo was built in Canada -- in 1976.

For motorcycles, my last Honda and my last Kawasaki were both built in the US. All of my BMWs were built in Germany. On the other hand, as I-1 pointed out, Harley-Davidsons are built all over the world. Most are built close to where they are sold, so nearly all of them that are sold in the US are assembled in the US, however, parts are sourced worldwide.

I bought a Saturn in 1992, the second year they were out. The company said that 94% of the parts were sourced in the US and most of the remaining 6% were from Mexico. I did feel good about "buying American". Later Saturn lost it's autonomy from the GM mothership and they had several models that were warmed-over outdated models from GM's European brands.

I also remember that when I was car shopping in 1991-92, I looked at Volkswagens. The Jetta and the Golf were identical cars, but the Golf was a hatchback and the Jetta was a sedan. Consumer Reports had the Jetta as one of their top-rated cars and the Golf was near the bottom. The difference between them? The Jetta was made in Germany, the Golf was made in Mexico. So, I am not completely buying the "quality is the same regardless of where it's made", although process and materials standardization is much better now than it was 30 years ago.

My benevolent employer is the largest (by dollar) exporter of finished goods in the US. But we get pieces and parts from all over the world. If you want to sell products in Kreplachia, it is a good idea to send them some work.

I seriously doubt I-1 has ever read The Lexus and the Olive Tree. It's probably a bit dated by now, but it's a clear explanation of the global market.

We do know that a lot of I-1's own branded products are made outside the US. Same for Complicit Barbie's clothing lines.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post