well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Tonight's piano party
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tonight's piano party
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
Went to the local piano party group's
gathering tonight.
It was in one of the $$$$ homes across the highway.
I was the fifth of twelve to play.
Played the Scarlatti Aria longo 423 on the superb Steinway B.
Did ok. Got compliments.
Before I started I said, "I would rather address a joint session of congress.".
They roared.
I played to get over my severe case of stage fright. It helped that a lot.
There were some accomplished pianists in the lineup.

The organizer asked me to bring my banjo next time. Huh?
Might do that.

That was the first time I played anything in front of people since jon nyc's party years ago. I picked a time when people were away from the piano that day. Only Bernard heard me.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25675 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your performance!!!

Did you invite the attendees to join WTF? Wink

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Congrats on mustering up the courage to do this. I'll follow in your footsteps.

Maybe later, though....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37757 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
Congrats on your performance!!!

Did you invite the attendees to join WTF? Wink

Bang Head
Will try next time.

Posts: 25675 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

Maybe later, though....

Aw c'mon! If I can do it, you certainly can.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
CHAS, good for you!! It’s nerve wrecking enough to play for others, let alone when there are some good pianists in the audience!

I have been chipping away at my performance anxiety, little by little over the years. I wouldn’t say I’ve conquered it, but I’ve learned to live with it. And it doesn’t take away the joy of playing for others.

I’ll hope you will have more chances to play in the future! Keyboard Jam

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18312 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thank you, SK.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, CHAS!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13777 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
That was the first time I played anything in front of people since jon nyc's party years ago. I picked a time when people were away from the piano that day. Only Bernard heard me.

I thought you didn’t play that day!

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:

I thought you didn’t play that day!

I can play stealth piano. It was a Bach bouree.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We west coasters need to get our act together and have a piano party here!

Chas, congrats on the performance. It's tough, and you should feel very accomplished. I am at the point where if I accompany I just have "butterflies," but if I perform solo I am still super anxious. Yuck. So my hat's off to you, and also SK who is so diligent about tackling performance anxiety head on. Smiler

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
That is very cool.

Scarlatti's Aria in Dm K32/L423 was the very first Scarlatti piece I played. It's still one of my favorites -- simple and complex at the same time, light but deep, short but satisfying. It's beautiful exactly as written, but has plenty of opportunity for embellishment.

There was one flat I kept missing about 3/4 of the way through it. Correcting that was an exercise in the maxim "it takes ten times as much work to unlearn something you learned wrong than to learn it wrong in the first place". Maybe I should have gotten a can of Fix-A-Flat.

When I retire, I'm going to go back to re-learning K517. I may spend some time with K32 as a warm-up to that.

Hugs.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I'm in. I haven't touched the keyboard in a couple of years, but that would motivate me to do so.

Maybe Steve can make a trip north before he heads to the Midwest.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I'm in. I haven't touched the keyboard in a couple of years, but that would motivate me to do so.

Maybe Steve can make a trip north before he heads to the Midwest.

So, it’s agreed that Nina is going to host a party? ( Warning, the Northwest is surprisingly please easy for me to get to these days.)

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
So my hat's off to you, and also SK who is so diligent about tackling performance anxiety head on

Thank you Nina!

I don't know what my problem is. I love playing for people, but I always get the shakes. Sometimes it's better than others, but almost never are there no shakes.

Oh, that's not exactly true though. When I was piano shopping, and playing pianos in dealerships, I almost never had shaky hands while testing out pianos. And with most pianos, I would spend 30-40 minutes playing. I guess I knew I was there as a (potentially paying) customer, not as a performer, so there was no pressure. Which is odd, because I know those dealers hear professional pianists all the time, but I wasn't worried about being compared etc.

And then, yesterday after a practice session with my violin friend, I played two solo pieces for her. No shakes, and I played those two pieces probably as well as I ever could. But we play together all the time, so she knows what kind of a pianist I am (mediocre to fair! Ole ) but again, no pressure.

The only thing that has really helped for me is that I have (almost) let go of any desire to play well. I basically expect to get the shakes, I know it's going to happen. So my goal is just to 1) get through the piece without stopping or re-starting, and 2) smile when it's over.

Well, having said that, I do take steps to ensure that things go as well as they can. For example, if at all possible, I try to play more than one piece, and I pick an easy one to start with. I do ok with the first piece because it's easy, and then I'm sort of calmed down and the second one goes ok because it's the second one.

Also, I try to introduce the piece, say something about it or the composer, that seems to help.

And the last time I played (another mini-party at home with my new piano), I was pretty shaky so when it came time to play piece #3 (I'm a glutton for punishment), I intro'ed the piece and then said "my hands are pretty shaky, so it's going to be a bumpy ride." Kind of like how the pilot introduces turbulence.

Actually, I think I'll do that from now on. Maybe I can get a walkie-talkie and have Mr. SK come in halfway through the piece and say "*scrhgjht* [static noise] Ladies and gentlemen, I've turned on the fasten seat belts sign and asked the flight attendants to be seated, we are entering an area of turbulence and I would like everyone to stay seated for safety."

ROTFLMAO Keyboard Jam ROTFLMAO

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18312 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post