well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Must I stop listening to Clapton?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Must I stop listening to Clapton?
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57934379

Eric Clapton is a COVID and vaccine skeptic. He says he won't play at any venue that requires proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test. That would be any venue in the UK at the moment. Eric was slated to play during the BBC Proms at the Royal Albert Hall. Guess that's off then, eh?

Apparently Van Morrison is of the same mind and Clapton and Van-the-Man collaborated on an anti-lockdown song last December.

I have more Eric Clapton CDs than of any other artist. I love Clapton. And Traffic and Cream and Derek and the Dominoes and on and on. I have a lot of Van Morrison CDs, as well.

I stopped reading Dilbert and discarded all of my Dilbert books and paraphernalia when he came out in support of I-1. There are many businesses I do not patronize because of their political or policy positions. I jettisoned anything to do with Roald Dahl and Cat Stevens when they spoke out against Salman Rushdie.

My first reaction was "stick to the music, not the politics, eh?" But I never would have said that to Pete Seeger or The (Dixie) Chicks.

Shoot. Do I have to divest myself of everything Clapton and Morrison now?

Or just not go to his concerts?

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

Eric Clapton is a COVID and vaccine skeptic. He says he won't play at any venue that requires proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test. That would be any venue in the UK at the moment. Eric was slated to play during the BBC Proms at the Royal Albert Hall. Guess that's off then, eh?

Apparently Van Morrison is of the same mind and Clapton and Van-the-Man collaborated on an anti-lockdown song last December.

I have more Eric Clapton CDs than of any other artist. I love Clapton. And Traffic and Cream and Derek and the Dominoes and on and on. I have a lot of Van Morrison CDs, as well.

I stopped reading Dilbert and discarded all of my Dilbert books and paraphernalia when he came out in support of I-1. There are many businesses I do not patronize because of their political or policy positions. I jettisoned anything to do with Roald Dahl and Cat Stevens when they spoke out against Salman Rushdie.

My first reaction was "stick to the music, not the politics, eh?" But I never would have said that to Pete Seeger or The (Dixie) Chicks.

My rule when things like this happen (looking at you, J.K. Rowling and your transphobic nonsense!) is to not do anything that will make them money. So no licensed products, no new things. I still read/watch things I enjoy, but I won’t buy anything new. It’s not perfect, but it works for me.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I turned my back on Cat Stevens ... Yusuf, so I can turn my back on Clapton.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Worf was in the right here. But the point remains. When someone behaves in a manner that is totally dishonorable, discommendation is a good answer.

Posts: 12528 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Never cared for him. Never will understand why people think he is such a great guitar player. So many can play circles around him in both technique and feeling.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

My rule when things like this happen (looking at you, J.K. Rowling and your transphobic nonsense!) is to not do anything that will make them money. So no licensed products, no new things. I still read/watch things I enjoy, but I won’t buy anything new. It’s not perfect, but it works for me.

I like that approach.

Unfortunately, it means no streaming services, because they make money from those, even if it’s only infinitesimal per listen.

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I stopped reading Dilbert and discarded all of my Dilbert books and paraphernalia when he came out in support of I-1.

OMG How did I miss that one! Ugh.

quote:
There are many businesses I do not patronize because of their political or policy positions.

This is my preferred approach as well, but we have had various contractors doing various things around or in our house this summer, and I have learned that -- so far anyway -- none of the contractors who I've asked have been vaccinated yet. And I got in a very unpleasant phone conversation with one local business owner about my wanting non-vaccinated workers to wear masks when in my house.... -_-

I would rather not hire people like that. And in fact we did have one contractor here who, I found out, believes (among other things) that Fauci is making bank off the vaccines.... I will never hire that guy again. But the people we have coming to do some work for us next week agreed without argument to my request that they wear masks while here (since they're not vaccinated)... So we have sort of a compromise I guess... otherwise we probably won't be able to hire anyone...

Anyway, back to your question... I like Dol's approach, nothing that would involve them getting money, but you don't need to throw out the records you already own.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
What Dol wrote.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
I stopped reading Dilbert and discarded all of my Dilbert books and paraphernalia when he came out in support of I-1.

OMG How did I miss that one! Ugh.
I should clarify, it is Scott Adams who came out in support of I-1. He was initially backing Clinton because of her politics and relevant experience. But then, he bought I-1's con hook, line, and sinker. Adams put a thing on his website explaining how I-1 had all this great business experience and was a brilliant negotiator and shrewd hustler and all that, and believed I-1's shtick that he would put all of these skills to work for the benefit of the country 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for four (or eight) years straight.

Of course anyone who knew anything about I-1 before 2016 knew that he only ever serves one purpose: enriching and drawing attention to himself. He is pathologically incapable of serving anyone or anything else. People tried to tell Scott Adams this and cited dozens of examples. But Adams dug in his heels and eventually closed the comment section of his web site. Dilbert stopped being funny. His brand plummeted.

As far as I know, to this day, Scott Adams still has his heels dug in. He refuses to admit he was duped.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
When a talented person does something like Clapton did; I don't throw things away. I do find that I have lost my appreciation for their talents and their work loses its appeal.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
It’s sometimes tough to know what to do about local businesses. The smart ones don’t advertise their politics or persuasions. It makes no sense to alienate potential customers.

Don’t ask, don’t tell. Big Grin

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13810 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
When a talented person does something like Clapton did; I don't throw things away. I do find that I have lost my appreciation for their talents and their work loses its appeal.

Me too.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34916 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:

+2

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
*sigh*

Eric Clapton
Van Morrison
Bill Cosby
Mel Gibson (never a big fan to begin with)
Clint Eastwood (ditto)
Louis CK (ditto)
Pete Townshend
Garrison Keillor

I’m sure I’m missing a few.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Woody Allen
Gene Simmons Frowner

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I haven't read this entire thread but just don't go to his concerts.

He's practically shouting he doesn't care about your health.

Having said that there is a difference between an artist and his or her art.

Posts: 24709 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post