well-temperedforum.groupee.net
10 days of rain

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/6143915397

26 November 2019, 11:58 AM
Steve Miller
10 days of rain
The forecast is for 10 days of rain starting tomorrow. It's been many years since we've had a series of storms come through like this. They're cold storms too - not "Pineapple Express" storms. The snow level is forecast to drop to 2000 ft. -very rare.

I've covered up what I can and turned off the sprinklers. I'm glad I don't live in an area that burned recently.

Looks like I am going to have to get the furnace fixed.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

26 November 2019, 12:04 PM
ShiroKuro
quote:
"Pineapple Express" storms.

What's a pineapple express storm?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

26 November 2019, 12:49 PM
Nina
Staying to the south of us... just cold and wind here.

SK - pineapple express refers to a rainy storm that is warm and comes from around Hawaii (hence "pineapple" express) to the West Coast. The key feature is that it brings warm rain. This current storm, from what I can gather, is resulting from the jet stream dipping way down from the north, bringing cold rain and snow.
26 November 2019, 01:22 PM
Mikhailoh
It's all relative, but SoCal can get chilly too. We had some mornings with ice patches. When it rains and it's cold it feels colder than it really is.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

26 November 2019, 04:53 PM
LL
Isn't that a good thing?

The earth laughs in flowers

26 November 2019, 05:21 PM
ShiroKuro
Nina, thanks for the explanation!

Re Mom’s comment: yep, a cold damp rain is often much worse than snow or a super cold sunny day.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

26 November 2019, 06:08 PM
Piano*Dad
quote:
The forecast is for 10 days of rain starting tomorrow.

Could be worse ... forty...
27 November 2019, 10:44 PM
BeeLady
Here in New England of such storms we say...

"At least it's not snow!" Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

28 November 2019, 12:32 PM
Steve Miller
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
Isn't that a good thing?

Yes, mostly.

So far the rain is coming in dribs and drabs so it may not cause trouble with landslides. If we get sustained downpours there is going to be a lot of mud in the burned areas.

Most of the storms are going to the north of us - to the Sierras where people are used to such storms and welcome the snowpack. They're getting 100 MPH winds up there - impressive!

29 November 2019, 12:02 PM
Steve Miller
Our big storm series kind of petered out. There is no rain in the forecast from now until Tuesday. We did get a nice steady rain all day yesterday and through the night.

Our local photographer must have gotten up early this morning to get this shot from the top of the big hill south of town. My house would be off to the left in this picture.

The snow level doesn't come down this low very often. You can bet the local ski slope operators are thrilled!

29 November 2019, 02:17 PM
LL
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Our big storm series kind of petered out. There is no rain in the forecast from now until Tuesday. We did get a nice steady rain all day yesterday and through the night.

Our local photographer must have gotten up early this morning to get this shot from the top of the big hill south of town. My house would be off to the left in this picture.

The snow level doesn't come down this low very often. You can bet the local ski slope operators are thrilled!

Do you see that?

The earth laughs in flowers

29 November 2019, 02:36 PM
Steve Miller
From my house? No.

My house faces the opposite direction.