well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Reagan’s famous election-eve speech

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reagan’s famous election-eve speech
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
quote:
Next Tuesday is election day. Next Tuesday all of you will go to the polls; you'll stand there in the polling place and make a decision. I think when you make that decision, it might be well if you would ask yourself, are you better off than you were 4 years ago? Is it easier for you to go and buy things in the stores than it was 4 years ago? Is there more or less unemployment in the country than there was 4 years ago? Is America as respected throughout the world as it was? Do you feel that our security is as safe, that we're as strong as we were 4 years ago? And if you answer all of those questions yes, why then, I think your choice is very obvious as to who you'll vote for. If you don't agree, if you don't think that this course that we've been on for the last 4 years is what you would like to see us follow for the next 4, then I could suggest another choice that you have.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Maybe Uncle Joe has one good plagiarism left in him...

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

Hoping he does.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Except that for some 30 or 40% of the population only believe President Gaslight. Even if they went from nice houses and three squares a day to all sleeping in the gutters and getting their only food from dumpsters, if Dear Leader tells them they are better off than they were four years ago, they will cheer in agreement that they are.

I never have and probably never will understand the Svengali-like mind control this putz wields.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Seriously I hope the Biden people turn this into a commercial.

Just a clip of the speech. With Biden coming on afterward and saying (figuratively) "Well?"

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Good idea. You should send it to his campaign.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

Joe's team will turf that one to the Lincoln Project ... just sayin'

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
And yet, eight years later, the average American was worse off than he or she had been before his election.

But he knew how to give a speech.

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
It’s quite remarkable that the quote works now verbatim.

Of course the issue of ‘going to the stores’ was inflation, not Covid, but still it works verbatim. Obviously things could change in 4 months.

Maybe there’s an ‘American Carnage’ equivalent.... “Look around - do you see more or less American Carnage than you did 4 years ago...”