well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Vrbo or AirBnB in Japan?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vrbo or AirBnB in Japan?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
I'm thinking of using Vrbo or AirBnB to book lodging for a trip to Japan, in Tokyo and Kyoto.

In the past I just book hotels but thinking of switching it up a little this time.

Anyone has any experience with using Vrbo or AirBnB with advice or recommendations to share? Any red flag I should watch out for?

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I'll see if I can find any helpful info. YOu should have lots of options in the big cities, but maybe more competition as well. When are you traveling?

The last time I stayed in non-hotel lodging in Japan, it was pre-covid, and not AirBnB, IIRC I found it through word of mouth. It was awesome and pretty affordable, but now that it's more common, I don't know if there are concerns or problems you have to watch out for.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18327 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Shiro.
Most likely I'll visit around late July/early August.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The one that doesn't have cameras trained on you at all times Razzer

Posts: 24653 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
late July/early August

This is a busy time for Japan (well, probably for anywhere), and Japan sort of has a hotel shortage, or a hotel worker shortage. So I would imagine AirBnB gets a lot of business in the summer months. Which is to say, the key for you will be making reservations as early as possible.

So far I've heard from one friend who said she often uses the regular AirBnB website to book places in Japan.

BTW if you haven't read this, it may be helpful:
https://thenavigatio.com/is-airbnb-legal-in-japan/
(tl;dr version, yes, airbnb is legal in Japan, but the article has more than that)

I'm going to ask one more person and I'll let you know if I learn anything helpful.

(edited)

Posts: 18327 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
My kids used AirBnB for their trip last fall, Tokyo and Kyoto. No problems.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Just booked a couple of properties with AirBnB.
Yeap, in the Tokyo market, AirBnB dominates.
Vrbo's Tokyo listings seem more limited to the higher-end, more expensive properties.

Also booked one night to stay at a "capsule hotel" just because I want to experience it. The capsule hotel's booking website is very Japanese (e.g., it expects the phone number to conform to Japanese phone number format, it requires that you provide a hiragana version of your name, it insists on a 7-digit Japanese zip code, etc.). So even though I slogged through the reservation website and got email confirmation for my reservation, there is still a chance that I may arrive to find that reservation invalid when I get there and I may have to scramble to find lodging then. :fingers_crossed:

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
My teen and I stayed at a ryokan (traditional inn) for a night? two? in Tokyo, for the experience of it. We enjoyed it. This was back in 2009.

Ryokan Asakusa Shigetsu

Have a great trip!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ooooh! I've not stayed at the ryokan, but I love being Asakusa!

Ax, if you can add that to your itinerary, it's a great place to spend time.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Nice!! Ax, take note! Smiler

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Really enjoyed your blog post, AM!! ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37791 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Thanks, AdagioM and Shiro.

Love the concept of ryokan, though finding it challenging to slog through the Japanese websites to check availability. I will keep this in mind to revisit when I have more time. Judging by the photos, the Kyoto place I booked through AirBnB captures quite a bit of the ryokan aesthetics (but likely with zero ryokan service). So maybe not a complete loss even if I don't stay at a certified ryokan. Shrug

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Next question I have is transportation.

Pretty much willing to shell out for a JRPass seeing that I will need transportation from Narita to Tokyo, then from Tokyo to Kyoto using Shinkansen, then Kyoto to Osaka airport.

Should I get other local transportation passes to move around within Tokyo and within Kyoto? What would you recommend?

As for the JRPass, is that something I can just buy in or near Narita airport and use it right away for a ride to Tokyo, or do I need to buy the JRPass in advance and reserve seat(s) from Narita to Tokyo in advance?