well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bezos and the National Enquirer
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bezos and the National Enquirer
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
popcorn

https://medium.com/@jeffreypbe...-pecker-146e3922310f

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37749 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20409 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
In light of the subject matter, "Mr. Pecker" ... Big Grin

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10562 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Clash of the Titans, indeed.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34827 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Mr. Pecker
de Becker
This is a limerick waiting to happen.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25668 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Chas made me snort coffee out my nose.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20409 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ronan Farrow said Thursday that he and “at least one other prominent journalist” who had reported on the National Enquirer and President Trump received blackmail threats from the tabloid’s parent company, American Media Inc., over their work.

Farrow’s allegation came just hours after Amazon chief executive Jeffrey P. Bezos published a remarkable public post on Medium accusing the National Enquirer of attempting to extort and blackmail him by threatening to publish intimate photos unless he stopped investigating the publication. (Bezos owns The Washington Post.)

In a tweet Thursday night, Farrow wrote that he and the unnamed journalist “fielded similar ‘stop digging or we’ll ruin you’ blackmail efforts from AMI.” Last April, Farrow published a story in the New Yorker about the Enquirer’s “catch and kill” practice — in which stories are buried by paying off sources — that benefited Trump during the 2016 presidential campaign.

Farrow added: "I did not engage as I don’t cut deals with subjects of ongoing reporting.”

AMI did not immediately return a message from The Post about Farrow’s claim.

quote:
The Daily Beast also reported that attorneys for AMI responded aggressively to two stories published last week that detailed Bezos’s investigation into the Enquirer. In its story about Thursday’s Medium post, the Daily Beast disclosed that during the process of that reporting, the publication “and a member of its staff were threatened by AMI’s attorneys.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.7baeaebfbfe0

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37749 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25668 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
lol

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
One of those lines that makes a lawyer's heart swoon... "I have other things I prefer to work on and to proceed with whatever budget he needed to pursue the facts in this matter."

Posts: 9596 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
From CNN:

quote:
Jeff Bezos has told his side of the story. Now David Pecker is responding.
Pecker, the head of American Media Inc., controls the National Enquirer. In a blockbuster blog post titled "No thank you, Mr. Pecker," Bezos on Thursday evening accused Pecker of an "extortion and blackmail" attempt.

American Media said in a statement on Friday morning that the company "believes fervently that it acted lawfully in the reporting of the story of Mr. Bezos."

"Further, at the time of the recent allegations made by Mr. Bezos, it was in good faith negotiations to resolve all matters with him," the company said. "Nonetheless, in light of the nature of the allegations published by Mr. Bezos, the Board has convened and determined that it should promptly and thoroughly investigate the claims. Upon completion of that investigation, the Board will take whatever appropriate action is necessary."

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Who might have leaked Bezos' private info?

https://www.dailyherald.com/ne...get-jeff-bezos-texts

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Serious question - does anyone here know anyone who purchases the enquirer? (Looking at it in the checkout line doesn’t count)

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
"Alexa, take revenge."

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34827 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I have no idea who buys the Enquirer. It's always been a joke to me. I bought one in college for a Hallowe'en party (where I went in blackface... OK, just kidding, I didn't do that and was smart enough even then to know there are lines you don't cross....)

But I digress. Big Grin

I've never seen anyone buy them. When I was in college I worked as a cashier in a drug store that stocked them, and I don't remember ever seeing anyone bring one to the register.

On the other hand, they're everywhere and have been around for decades. Maybe they have subscriptions?

Posts: 35366 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post