well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    It’s that time of year

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It’s that time of year
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
We drove by the Culver’s near our house and saw the sign announcing that walleye is back; it’s a seasonal item. Now I want a walleye sandwich. I’ve never had one from Culver’s but my neighbor raves about it.

Anyone had it?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37749 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Don't know about Culver's but I have never had bad walleye.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25674 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
What makes walleye special? What does it taste like?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9786 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It’s a very mild white fish, similar to Cod.

The cheeks are the best part.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34827 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
It’s a very mild white fish, similar to Cod.

The cheeks are the best part.

Ooh, like halibut cheeks?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9786 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I've never had halibut cheeks, but I'd assume they are similar.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34827 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Walleye has a mild, slightly sweet and buttery flavor. It doesn't exactly taste like lake (freshwater) perch, but I think of them as being kind of similar in their flavor profile.

Costco carries it for a few weeks during the season. I'm terrible at preparing fish (except for salmon), so I always have it at a restaurant.

We're going to Culver's drive thru a little later today to pick up dinner.... Yummy

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37749 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Got our walleye sandwiches. They were good, but not over-the-top fabulous.

The fish was lightly breaded and cooked properly, but it didn't really taste like walleye, more like cod. Kind of generic. The bun was nice and the tartar sauce pretty tasty.

Anyway, a good fish sandwich but I won't be beating down their doors while it's on the menu for the season.

Bazootiehead-in-training