well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Kids today

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kids today
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
These younger generations have pretty much ruined written communication. Years of texting, e-mail, tweeting, and the like have led to a complete disregard for punctuation, capitalization, and other basic concepts of writing. All they write is an ambiguous stream of words, random letters, and even numbers pretending to be words. Even something as simple as a comma which completely changes the meaning of a sentence is too much trouble for them.

Millennials' reply:

ok boomer

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25675 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I know whereof you speak. This boomer is learning how to send texts via his one-month old smartphone. You have to toggle to a secondary keyboard to find punctuation and numerals, for example. Too much trouble. Capitals are iffy, sometimes prompted by the algorithm, sometimes not.

It all takes twice as long as it does on the full keyboard on your desktop or laptop. I guess you're supposed to become facile with it after a while. But important sense-making tools get tossed to the wayside.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13777 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Much like the 7-white/5-black “piano keyboard” shapes piano repertoire, so too the smartphones’ “virtual keyboards” shape the “natural” languages.

Shiro, I have a hypothesis:
Societies that live in vast, sparse, open spaces will develop different speaking style than those living in dense, close quarters. The former would have a bias toward words that project well (e.g., more vowel sounds) while the later would have a bias toward words that cut through background noises and in short distance easier to distinguish from surrounding conversations (e.g., more consonants).
As a linguist, what do you think?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12680 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post