well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Top Tier Gasoline
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Tier Gasoline
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
Worth the extra $$$

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
You may have the wrong link??

Probably this:

https://www.consumerreports.or...HYBkGoWlDjPi6vnSeg5k

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I've been using top tier gas for years now - the latest is with Costco, which is also the cheapest gas in the city anyway!

We had a couple of cars that were picky - they would hesitate or miss on the highway with cheap gas, so I went looking for better options.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
I've been using top tier gas for years now - the latest is with Costco, which is also the cheapest gas in the city anyway!

We had a couple of cars that were picky - they would hesitate or miss on the highway with cheap gas, so I went looking for better options.

I looked at the list of top tier retailers and can’t think of any local retailers who are not on the list.

Is the market different elsewhere?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
There is this East Coast chain WaWa that's not on the list.
Another Costco like chain BJ's Warehouse that also sells gasoline is also not on the list.
Lukoil also not on the list.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Oops
Yes, I have the wrong link.

I am from the “Fix this thing” area. Smiler

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I don't see any of the top truck stops on the highways on the list. (Which is where I'd usually stop for gas on a road trip, because there's always clean restrooms, a good convenience store, and a food franchise attached.).

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
they would hesitate or miss on the highway with cheap gas

What does this mean?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
they would hesitate or miss on the highway with cheap gas

What does this mean?

The car is tooling along and then there is a slight "blip" - felt more than heard. Probably one piston misfiring or firing with less power. On the worst occasions, there was a loss of power or the engine wouldn't idle smoothly. Often adding a bottle of injection cleaner would help through that tank of gas.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow!!!

I need to rad that CR article. We get our gas at our local grocery store.... hmmm

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Some cars seem to do just fine on any gas... Some cars seem to be picky! We just got a couple of the picky ones over the years. Though the article does show more deposits collecting on internal engine parts (valves) with basic gas.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
My Prius seems to be happy with just the vapors of any old fuel.

Not to jinx things, but it's consistently gotten ~50 mpg since I bought it in 2012. I expected the fuel efficiency to decline with age. I don't know how much longer to expect the battery to last, but it's giving no signs of trouble.

When I bought it, the estimated payout when the gas savings would equal the Prius' higher price compared to similar cars was three years. If it's still the same, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Oh, okay, I meant the vapors of any old gasoline.

I'm not sure how well it would tolerate diesel or jet fuel.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
We use medium grade in our Volvo and it seems to do fine. I think the manual tells us to use premium though.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We are 100% top-tier at this point. This is because we drive the electric car (Leaf) almost all the time, and our gas car is for road trips only. I've definitely noticed an improvement (no pings, better mileage) when we buy better gas.

And fortunately, we don't do it to often. To be honest, I've almost run out of gas in the big car because I never remember to check the gas level before hitting the highway any longer. It's just not in my mindset. Oopsie.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post