well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Amy Tan’s Lyme Disease
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amy Tan’s Lyme Disease
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I had no idea.

http://www.amytan.net/lyme-disease.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37749 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Wow.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow indeed.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18310 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Haven’t read it all (tl;dr) and I HATE light grey text on white background. Well written, and will finish later.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13776 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I HATE light grey text on white background

Me too. I don’t get why people insist on web design that’s not easy to read.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18310 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Lyme carrying ticks are a problem here. People seem to be either panicked about it or completely indifferent. Sending them away for testing is a pretty common thing, and a lot of people I know have a tick removal tool in their medicine cabinet.

As for the website - use your device’s/browser’s accessibility features to make it more readable. Safari uses Reader View, which allows you to change the text colour, background, and text size (as well as removing ads and distractions). Other browsers have similar features, though I’m not familiar with the specifics.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4080 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Lots of deer in the woods around our vacation house, but I managed to dodge Lyme for decades despite our regular visits up there. I finally succumbed on one of my last visits to get the house ready for sale in 2019. Never saw the tick, but I was told given the time of year it could have been a nymph and so small that it would go unnoticed. The bite was on my neck. I had stumbled and fallen backwards when I was cleaning windows and I wondered later if that's when it hopped on. I took antibiotics for three weeks and haven't had a symptom since.

I read Ross Douthat's book “The Deep Places: A Memoir of Illness and Discovery.” He had an awful struggle with Lyme.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazet...lyme-disease-battle/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37749 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
As for the website - use your device’s/browser’s accessibility features to make it more readable. Safari uses Reader View, which allows you to change the text colour, background, and text size (as well as removing ads and distractions). Other browsers have similar features, though I’m not familiar with the specifics.

Thank you for this! There are so many features on the computer (and phone) that I probably only am aware of 5% of it. Just found Reader on the desktop computer.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13776 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Reader View also ends up bypassing a lot of paywalls, for reasons I don't understand.

Here are a couple of articles that show how to find Reader View in various desktop browsers:

https://www.maketecheasier.com...browser-reader-mode/

https://www.groovypost.com/how...iew-desktop-browser/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
What a harrowing story.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7373 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I have two good friends who contracted Lyme disease also without realizing it (and by the time it was recognized, it was too late for the antibiotic to make much difference).

Like the two stories earlier in this thread it all happened to them before Lyme disease was taken seriously so not only were they permanently disabled but they'd gone through similar lengthy hells of having their symptoms pretty much blown off .

Both of them have ever after had their formerly rich lives measured in "before" and "after", referencing their function and happiness as they had been and thereafter became.

FWIW both of them lived in New Canaan CT - so it did develop in what's now recognized in the heartland of this uniquely horrible disease.

I just read that my present hometown, Central PA, has become another dangerous Lyme hotspot. Seems to have much to do with the deer population becoming overgrown. One more excellent reason for experts to keep track of how many deer are allowed to be killed in hunting season.

I already knew it was bad for deer themselves not to have their numbers reduced adequately (otherwise they starve to death over Winter). Besides which they kill saplings by gnawing the fresh bark! Long outgrown Bambi, now I see how important it is to control deer population for other reasons including the risk they pose human health.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I posted a picture here on the forum of what folks identified as a fully engorged tick. I had never seen one in real life so I had no clue what it was.

I sent the pic to the Tick Research Lab and they identified it as a dog tick. It must have hopped on Raffi when he was outside and then dropped to the floor after it fed. Our vet tested him for various tick borne diseases and everything came up negative.

The Tick Research Lab has info on the ticks that carry diseases that affect humans:

https://www.ticklab.org/tick-identification

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Soliciting input from more knowledgeable wildlife folks about the risk posed by ticks on deer mice. Are they the same vector as on deer? I had thought til now the mice only spread hantavirus - also dangerous - but recently heard the mice ticks could also spread Lyme. True? Not being an outdoorsy person, I'd always thought I was pretty safe from Lyme but now it seems the over-wintering house mice also pose risks too - a double one.

Remembering my former life when I moved here decades ago, completely ignorant about house maintenance, I used to feed my "pet mouse" at the top of the basement stairs. It delighted my small son and me. Ha! Apart from not realizing its danger, it only dawned on me much later that our pet was certainly not singular. Furthermore, Beatrix Potter had anthropomorphized them for my little boy and me. (Little did I know that even as a child, she herself boiled them and reassembled their skeletons to achieve her unparalleled mastery of their anatomy. So much for her own sentimentality!)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
First, the bad news about these furry, brown creatures with white bellies: They act as vectors for two diseases that humans dread.

The first is Lyme disease. A tick feeds off a deer mouse, which may have Lyme disease, then latches onto a human or another mammal, passing the illness along.

Deer mice are most commonly known for carrying hantavirus, a deadly respiratory disease. The virus sheds through feces or urine, then infects humans if it becomes aerosolized. While hantavirus is dangerous to humans, the Centers for Disease Control recommends avoiding the illness by sealing your house and taking precautions when cleaning barns, sheds and other areas where deer mice may have congregated.

Everything you ever wanted to know about deer mice:

https://blog.nature.org/2022/0...ost-abundant-mammal/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Fear of ticks has spoiled walks in the woods for me. I guess wide nature trails are safe if you avoid touching foliage at the margins.