well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Amy Tan’s Lyme Disease
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amy Tan’s Lyme Disease
 Login/Join

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Fear of ticks has spoiled walks in the woods for me. I guess wide nature trails are safe if you avoid touching foliage at the margins.

I take my students (5-6 year olds) on walks in a conservation area connected to our school yard. Initially, I was required to keep them on the path because of ticks. I also had them tuck their pants into socks and we inspected every kid when we came back to the school. We found two ticks, both on clothing rather than skin. However, we have had several students come in from the school yard (in mown grass) with ticks on them. Because of that, we now have no restrictions on the conservation area. I still let grown ups know we are going and remind them to check kiddos at night but so far so good. Luckily, all the ticks that we have come across so far have been dog ticks. I expect the rules would change if deer ticks started popping up.

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4080 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post