well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Coronavirus bill (formerly GOP relief bill)
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coronavirus bill (formerly GOP relief bill)
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I've heard mention of GOP desires to push sizable corporate tax cuts. I would oppose that.

But they're the job creators! Bang Head

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Where's the bill that's going to save people's lives? You know, that allows hospitals and clinics and health departments to test entire communities? The one that quintuples the number of ventilators and ICU beds? The one that builds triage hospitals? The one that dispenses free masks, gloves, and hand sanitizer to every American?

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
A forthcoming mammoth stimulus package will include expanding unemployment insurance, a top Republican senator said on Saturday.

The decision to include the provision is a major concession to Democrats, who had viewed bolstering the program as a top priority in the days-long negotiations.

"The Democrats are getting some of the things that they asked for me. They've talked all along about addressing the needs of workers – this does that, small businesses, this does that. They're getting what they wanted on unemployment insurance. This addresses that," Senate Republican Whip John Thune (R-S.D.) told reporters after a closed-door lunch.

Negotiators are still locked in meetings as they try to clinch an agreement "in principle" on the mammoth spending package, which is expected to come in above $1 trillion.

Both Sens. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) and Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), the top members of the Finance Committee, have stopped short of saying they have a deal on the unemployment insurance provision, arguing that it's

https://thehill.com/homenews/s...employment-insurance

I heard elsewhere that the cost is in the 2 trillion range.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
Are the phas out numbers per person?

Jf

I just saw this:

quote:
As Congress pushes through a $2 trillion stimulus bill, some Americans can expect checks from the government to help them cope with the economic devastation stemming from the coronavirus crisis.

Those payments are expected to be $1,200 for individuals, or $2,400 for those who are married and file income taxes jointly. It also includes $500 per child.

But you have to meet certain qualifications in order to be eligible for the money, based on your adjusted gross income in your 2018 tax returns. If you earn more than $75,000 as an individual, $112,500 as the head of household or $150,000 if you are married and filing jointly, the amount of those checks starts to get reduced.

You also must have a valid Social Security number in order to receive the funds.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/2...-of-coronavirus.html

I haven't seen specifics regarding how the phase out works, and the upper limits. I'm not even sure the text of the bill is available online yet.

edit: A little more info from CNN.

quote:
Under the plan as it was being negotiated, individuals who earn $75,000 in adjusted gross income or less would get direct payments of $1,200 each, with married couples earning up to $150,000 receiving $2,400 -- and an additional $500 per each child. The payment would scale down by income, phasing out entirely at $99,000 for singles and $198,000 for couples without children.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Still working out the details.

quote:
A handful of Republican senators on Wednesday threatened to delay the $2 trillion coronavirus spending bill over a proposed increase to unemployment insurance.

In a statement, Sens. Tim Scott, R-S.C., Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., and Ben Sasse, R-Neb., said that the bill could provide a "strong incentive for employees to be laid off instead of going to work" because some people could theoretically make more by being unemployed.

"This isn’t an abstract, philosophical point — it’s an immediate, real-world problem," they continued. "If the federal government accidentally incentivizes layoffs, we risk life-threatening shortages in sectors where doctors, nurses, and pharmacists are trying to care for the sick, and where growers and grocers, truckers and cooks are trying to get food to families' tables."

They added, "We must sadly oppose the fast-tracking of this bill until this text is addressed, or the Department of Labor issues regulatory guidance that no American would earn more by not working than by working."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politi...er-drafting-n1168766

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Senate passes the bill unanimously.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
Where's the bill that's going to save people's lives? You know, that allows hospitals and clinics and health departments to test entire communities? The one that quintuples the number of ventilators and ICU beds? The one that builds triage hospitals? The one that dispenses free masks, gloves, and hand sanitizer to every American?

+1

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
What if you didn't file a tax return in 2018? I'm thinking about all of our student employees, who may not have even been 16 and work-eligible in 2018.

I'm glad to see it's somewhat scaled to income, but haven't read the details. Does it still gauge the single mom who doesn't make enough to get the big buckazoids?

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I would think if someone didn't file in 2018, they will probably need to file in 2019. With free file, that shouldn't be a big deal?

quote:
If you didn’t yet file a 2019 return, the government will use your 2018 information if it has it. It also may use a 2019 Social Security benefit statement, or Form SSA-1099, or the Social Security Equivalent Benefit Statement, or Form RRB-1099.

As for some of the details:

quote:
Those payments are expected to be $1,200 for individuals, or $2,400 for those who are married and file income taxes jointly. It also includes $500 per child.

But you have to meet certain qualifications in order to be eligible for the money, based on your adjusted gross income in your latest tax returns. If you earn more than $75,000 as an individual, $112,500 as the head of household or $150,000 if you are married and filing jointly, the amount of those checks starts to get reduced.

Checks will be reduced by $5 for every $100 exceeding those thresholds. It completely phases out at $99,000 in income for individuals, $146,500 for head of household filers with one child and $198,000 for joint filers with no children.

However, you are still eligible for a check if you have no income or if you rely solely on non-taxable government benefit programs like Supplemental Security Income benefits, or SSI, from Social Security.

“That group of people who are getting Social Security, whether it’s for retirement or for disability, and don’t need to file, will still be able to get a stimulus check,” said Jack Smalligan, senior policy fellow at the Urban Institute, a non-partisan think tank.

That’s after new language was added to the bill to allow the Treasury Department to communicate with other agencies that provide federal benefits. So the government would not necessarily need those individuals to file tax returns in order to get the stimulus checks, Smalligan said.

Americans who live in other countries may also be eligible.

What I'm puzzling over is this (I've seen it in a couple of places and don't understand what it means):

quote:
More important, the money will not be counted as taxable income. It will be considered a credit, so you can deduct the sum against your future taxes.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/2...-of-coronavirus.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
You and I don't very often agree, but we're pretty close on this one. I want to see more about how our industries are ramping up to manufacture what will be needed. I see dribbles here and there, but not on the scale that is required.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Found the explanation regarding the tax credit.

Forbes on whether you should file for 2019 or just let 2018 ride.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/a...ayment/#5c90886ab9dc

Bazootiehead-in-training

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
What the fvck makes anyone think that $80k is a lot of money in today's world?

Well, it's a huge amount of money to me. We've never made that much money, combined. And recognized that the $75k is per person, so if you are a couple, that's $150k per *household*. That is a lot of money even in today's world. Someone who makes that much money annually should have no problem having a year's worth of living expenses saved up, if they've been earning that kind of money for more than a few years.

So far, it looks like $2,400 and taxes delayed three months will be a windfall for us. Unless my tenant quits paying rent. And, I qualify for unemployment for the first time in my life, as a freelancer. And if the tenant does quit paying, I can get a no-interest small business loan, since I have a manager I pay.

Nina is right that this is a blunt instrument--just throwing cash around blind.

Seems like the money should be targeted to people who lost their jobs and businesses because they couldn't stay open. Waitresses, child care workers. Flight attendants. People like that. If we come out of this all right I'll set this money aside for good causes.

We are very comfortable on half of the limit for one person. I don't understand--and never have--why some people believe they need so much to be comfortable. That's more money than I would ever know how to spend.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Whatever we get we're going to pick a relevant charity or effort and donate it.

You'd be surprised at the folks who make twice that and don't have a decent savings account.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
https://www.politico.com/news/...o-dead-people-219063

Treasury now wants the stimulus money sent to dead people repaid.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
https://www.politico.com/news/...o-dead-people-219063

Treasury now wants the stimulus money sent to dead people repaid.

How so? I was volunteering last week with a neighbor whose dead brother got the stimulus..

She now has to wrangle with the gov and the attorney to straiten it out..

So who pays for that?

And yet I will not get mine till it comes in the mail..and I am alive..

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post