well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Visualizing the hidden logic of cities

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Visualizing the hidden logic of cities
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
In Chicago or Beijing, any given street is likely to take you north, south, east, or west. But good luck following the compass in Rome or Boston, where streets grew up organically and seemingly twist and and turn at random.

Geoff Boeing calls this structure the “logic” of a city, and he would know: An urban planning scholar at the University of California, Berkeley, Boeing developed a tool to let anyone visualize this urban logic in seconds.

It works by using an old geography technique: the “polar” or circular chart. Boeing’s tool calculates what percentage of a city’s roads run along each section of a compass, and plots it on a circular bar chart. The island of Manhattan, for example, runs from south-southwest to north-northeast, and most of its streets are parallel or perpendicular to the island in a regular grid. Boeing's program visualizes that as four long bars, with several shorter bars representing the borough’s minority of streets that don’t line up with the grid, as illustrated in the circular pattern below.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Nashville is much the same. The old part is ranked
with Boston in difficulty of navigation.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I've been told that, in parts of Florida, the roads are canted at a forty-five degree angle because they run along boundaries of properties that are oriented in the old Spanish way, with a corner pointing north.

I don't know whether this has affected city street grids. I learned about it because the company where I worked is located on property that was part of the old Arredondo Grant. The state highway running past the company offices runs southwest and I was told that this was so because of the old property orientations.

A caveat--I just looked up some maps of the Arredondo Grant and the properties don't seen to be oriented that way, so I may have been told wrong. However, it's been a really long time since the Spanish left. That land may have been resurveyed.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The website where this was posted (CityLab) is really cool as well.

I wonder how PDX would fare? Most of it is a grid downtown and on the east side, but there are significant barriers (mountains, hills, rivers) that get in the way in other places. I hadn't realized how much I relied on visual cues/landmarks for navigation until I moved and didn't have many. They were blocked by other hills and/or clouds, mist and fog.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
The website where this was posted (CityLab) is really cool as well.

I wonder how PDX would fare? Most of it is a grid downtown and on the east side, but there are significant barriers (mountains, hills, rivers) that get in the way in other places. I hadn't realized how much I relied on visual cues/landmarks for navigation until I moved and didn't have many. They were blocked by other hills and/or clouds, mist and fog.

I grew up on the east side, and when we moved back to PDX we chose to live on the east side because of the gridded streets. I still don’t understand the swirly west side!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The first thing I did when we moved here was update my GPS thingy. (Old car = GPS on a compact di$k)

This was pre-Google maps. Gasp.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
City of Mission Viejo was laid out in the '70's in a "feeder and arterial" arrangement which was popular at the time. Lots of small winding streets feeding in to a few gigantic arterials that intersect the freeway. Lot of cul-de-sacs.

The story is that the feeder streets were laid out by dumping a basket of snakes on the ground and building roads following their tracks. Cool

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Interesting they use Manhattan as an example. Finding your way around Greenwhich and East Villages is no picnic even though they don't curve much. Lots of angles that don't seem to make much sense.

But downtown Boston? Fugheddaboudit.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post