well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Failed a hearing test
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Failed a hearing test
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Wow.

Good luck, Chas.

Posts: 24711 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Recalling the picture I wonder whether it could be a big pimple. Yuckkkkhhh

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Recalling the picture I wonder whether it could be a big pimple. Yuckkkkhhh

Hoping it's nothing worse than that.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Cyst that begins in middle ear.

That is my guess.
Less drama than cancer, but that is ok IMO>

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Today an ENT looked into my ears.

There is no cyst. There is no cancer.
There is an osteoma (bone) that has grown into the outer ear cavity. It is a benign tumor.
There is no hole in my eardrum.
That is the second time an audiologist has hit the panic button and caused worry.
Did not ask why that ear distorts sounds sometimes.

Was referred to another department for a cochlear implant for my right ear.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
So glad to hear it’s not something dire, and sorry you went through unnecessary worrying.

Will you circle back with the audiologists to give them the diagnosis?

And is a cochlear implant your only option to help improve your hearing?

In any event.... ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Whew.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thanks

According to the ENT, I am beyond hearing aids in that ear.
Cochlear implants sound like a talking doll with a low battery. It takes six months of therapy to learn how to use them. That gives me pause. I know of no other option.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute, cochlear implant? As you intimated, that is not minor. Basically you lose your natural hearing in that ear and you get this inferior substitute.

I was told that if my hearing in the right ear deteriorated to a certain point, I'd be a candidate for an implant too. But the idea sounds awful to me, particularly as a musician. I think I'd rather live with natural hearing in one ear and none in the other. Although people who have the implants are glad they have them.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Musicians with hearing loss group

I am going to plug my better ear and find out how well I can hear music before I get the implant.
The implant can be turned off.
It is an awful option. It is inferior to natural hearing.
My right ear is so bad that i only wear a hearing aid in it when I am going to be in a meeting. It only helps a very small bit and sometimes not at all.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm glad it didn't turn out to be something more serious. The cochlear implant does sound like a major deal, but it might be the best option. Or not.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I'm so late to the party - but very (very, very) happy you're not dealing with cancer. At the same time - hope this implant thing works out for you. Hell to get old. Wish our bodies were manufactured better.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
Wish our bodies were manufactured better.
Every time someone mentions "intelligent design" I bring up the prostate. Big Grin

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
Wish our bodies were manufactured better.
Every time someone mentions "intelligent design" I bring up the prostate. Big Grin

ROTFLMAO
also knees and shoulders.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Real Player Thank you.
Your earlier post got me to reassess the situation.

I wore a hearing aid in my bad ear in addition to the usual one in my left ear to a meeting.
Could hear most of what a man three people over had to say. He is a good speaker.
Could hear the woman to my left, but could only comprehend a few of the words.
Sat through another meeting acting as though I can hear. Missed the jokes and a dispute.
This problem has been causing me to isolate myself more than usual. That is not good.

My right ear is distorting sounds. That is getting worse. It feels stopped up from allergies.
Will try to get it clear with meds and try again.