well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Your opinions, please. Peeling.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your opinions, please. Peeling.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Is it necessary to peel carrots before adding them to soups or stews?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I do, but maybe it’s just a habit. Don’t know if it’s necessary. At least wash them though.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Just give 'em a good scrub. Lots of goodness in the outer layers!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I only scrub; I don’t peel carrots. Vitamins!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
it sounds like everyone’s in agreement. Or, the peelings are mutual?

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Peel. Don't peel. I don't carrot all.....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I dont peel, I just wash them off.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The carrot skin has the vitamins?
The potato skin has the dangerous chemicals.

The experts say...

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I buy and chop baby carrots for soups and stews. No peeling required. Laziness FTW! Big Grin

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:

The experts say...

???

I hadn't heard that about potato skins. I always like to eat the skins of baked potatoes and often slice potatoes without peeling them before they go into casseroles. I would think that unpeeled potatoes and unpeeled carrots would pose similar risks, both being root vegetables.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7404 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
What about fresh ginger? Peeling it is a PITA because of all the crevices, and one cookbook I have says it isn’t necessary.

Also we have organic ginger here, which makes me feel better about the peel.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:

The experts say...

I've read those "expert" opinions CHAS quoted and I see nothing at all about potatoes, much less their skins (am I blind??)

I've always thought potatoes skins were by far the healthiest part of the potato - worth seeking them out in their own right.

quote:
The more color in the potato, the more antioxidants it contains. On top of that, the skin of the potato can have up to 12 times more antioxidants than the flesh. So, don't be afraid to eat your potato skins. Baked potato skin is a great source of potassium and magnesium.Sep 14, 2022

https://www.webmd.com/diet/hea...um%20and%20magnesium.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Every time I see the title of this thread, somehow I miss one letter in the last word and think it's about something else...

Leaving

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I buy and chop baby carrots for soups and stews. No peeling required. Laziness FTW! Big Grin

I buy frozen chopped mirepoix and onions for longer cooking dishes. Works great.

But do I peel carrots? Sometimes, if the visual is important, like serving whole carrots.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Every time I see the title of this thread, somehow I miss one letter in the last word and think it's about something else...

Leaving

This is closely related to our age group.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post