well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The fire at Notre Dame

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The fire at Notre Dame
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A baffling alert. A race to the wrong building. Notre-Dame still stands only because firefighters decided to risk everything, a New York Times reconstruction has found.
July 17, 2019

PARIS — The employee monitoring the smoke alarm panel at Notre-Dame cathedral was just three days on the job when the red warning light flashed on the evening of April 15: “Feu.” Fire.

It was 6:18 on a Monday, the week before Easter. The Rev. Jean-Pierre Caveau was celebrating Mass before hundreds of worshipers and visitors, and the employee radioed a church guard who was standing just a few feet from the altar.

Go check for fire, the guard was told. He did and found nothing.

It took nearly 30 minutes before they realized their mistake: The guard had gone to the wrong building. The fire was in the attic of the cathedral, the famed latticework of ancient timbers known as “the forest.”

The miscommunication, uncovered in interviews with church officials and managers of the fire security company, Elytis, has set off a bitter round of finger-pointing over who was responsible for allowing the fire to rage unchecked for so long. Who is to blame and how the fire started have not yet been determined and are at the heart of an investigation by the French authorities that will continue for months.

But the damage is done. What happened over four hours that night changed Paris. The cathedral — a soaring medieval structure that has captured the hearts of believer and nonbeliever alike for 850 years — was ravaged.

Today three jagged openings mar Notre-Dame’s vaulted ceiling, the stone of the structure is precarious, and the roof is gone. Some 150 workers remain busy recovering the stones, shoring up the building, and protecting it from the elements with two giant tarps.

https://www.nytimes.com/intera...rope/notre-dame.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Nothing is forever I guess.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
It's really amazing to read all these details... And reflect on how, in this case, as in so many, human error played a role in how bad it became, and human courage and cooperation are the only reason it wasn't any worse.

It makes me think there's hope for us yet.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I think the story reveals an important idea. Complex failsafe is an oxymoron. The fire detection system can be complex, but the way humans interface with it needs to be simple and foolproof. That wasn't the case here, so the thousands of kilometers of high tech detection piping was foiled by something as simple as an untrained employee and a human misreading (maybe, depending on who you believe) of a single word.

Now, having said that, I'll go out on a limb.

I am not at all surprised that this happened in France. Of course something like this can happen anywhere, but the complexity of the detection system coupled with its dependence on easily error-prone human choices seems typical of French bureaucratic management. Then add ossified labor rules that likely led to the untrained employee (in control!) not communicating effectively with a guard who had to WALK for 30 minutes (climb 300 steps!) to physically check for fire, before anything was done.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but this

quote:
physically check for fire, before anything was done.

this is the single worst policy. With a place like Notre Dame, or any other historic building with less than up-to-date construction etc., the policy should be, *any* time there's an alarm, send out the fire dept first, ask questions later.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post